BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my lights programmed to flash in a couple days and i was wondering:

Someone said that the reason you can't get the keyless entry to chirp is the fact that there is no siren....well, is it possible to hook up only a siren and not the actual alarm to make the car chirp!?:dunno:

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Why would you do this?
Buy the alarm and install it yourself. Conists of siren that goes under the cowl, a tilt sensor that goes in the trunk and a motion sensor that goes in the head liner. The siren is probably most of the cost. Install the whole thing in under a hour.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Installing just a siren is not as easy as it seems. The typical aftermarket siren only gets power, while the BMW computer sends a "pulse" signal to the siren to make it activate. As recommended before, the OEM alarm is not that bad, plus it has a built-in battery backup, in case someone kills power to disable it.

If you are set on using an aftermarket siren, you can either build a custom interface if you have the knowledge, or probably tap into the car's computer, so every time you activate the lock/unlock with the key, it "chirps the siren". ...or get an aftermarket alarm.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
or probably tap into the car's computer, so every time you activate the lock/unlock with the key, it "chirps the siren"
THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT..JUST NEED TO FIGGER OUT HOW

·
Registered
404 Posts
youll probably spend more money trying to find out how. just buy the alarm

·
Der Meisterstück
2,479 Posts
maybe you should have the dealer install it too...cause youre going to find out installing it is only half the battle (easy part) The other half is having your dealer program your alarm. You're going to have to pay. Depending on the dealer its going to cost , so in the end you wont be saving a lot.

For those who defend themselves saying that they want to DIY. B.S! Its B.S. cause all of you who DIY your own alarms, end up b*tching about how much it costs to have the dealer enable it. And B*tching how the dealer is a ripoff.

Cut your losses and have the dealer take care of it. Honestly you wont be saving alot of money.

1) the alarm isnt a big deal to install. Its pretty much plug it in the right places.

2) you will need your dealer to enable it. Here is where they have you by the balls.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I KNOW ABOUT THE DEALER ENABLING IT AND MY DEALER PROGRAMMS STUFF LIKE THAT FOR FREE...I AM TALKING ABOUT WHEN I GET THE PARKING LIGHTS TO FLASH, THE CAR THINKS IT HAS AN ALARM SO IT TRIES TO CHIRP THE SIREN; HOWEVER, THERE IS NO SIREN TO CHIRP SO IT DOES NOTING...THEREFORE, IF I ADD A SIREN, WHEN THE CAR TRIES TO CHIRP, IT WILL. I JUST NEED TO FIGURE OUT WHERE TO PLUG A SIREN IN TO MAKE THE CHIRP NOISE WITHOUT SPENDING ALL THE MONEY FOR THE OTHER ALARM COMPONENTS

·
XX
375 Posts
MrMotorwerk said:
maybe you should have the dealer install it too...cause youre going to find out installing it is only half the battle (easy part) The other half is having your dealer program your alarm. You're going to have to pay. Depending on the dealer its going to cost , so in the end you wont be saving a lot.

For those who defend themselves saying that they want to DIY. B.S! Its B.S. cause all of you who DIY your own alarms, end up b*tching about how much it costs to have the dealer enable it. And B*tching how the dealer is a ripoff.

Cut your losses and have the dealer take care of it. Honestly you wont be saving alot of money.

1) the alarm isnt a big deal to install. Its pretty much plug it in the right places.

2) you will need your dealer to enable it. Here is where they have you by the balls.

I don't think the DIY is BS. I got the alarm from circle $225, installed it the day I picked up the car. Called up my dealer to see how much activation was..they said they had to charge a 1/2 hour labor, so I paid $45 for activation (some people get it for free). Total cost approx $270. I saved $330 (went towards clears), and no one had me by the balls (even though I don't have any ;)

·
Registered
404 Posts
MrMotorwerk said:

well yea you DO save money if you DIY. the dealer charges half hour for the activation (42 bucks,) and they change one hours of labor for the alarm (84 bucks.) so yea honestly you do save alot of money. unless 84 dollars is just chump change to you.

also to huntmdown. seriously if youre gonna go through all that trouble why not just buy the alarm? youll get the chirp and the extra added security features. im sure the alarm works as a system. so if you try to flash the computer into thinking theres an alarm but actually not, the siren might go off everytime you "alarm" the system. by siren im talking about the loud intrusive noise thats supposed to deter thefts. also im not sure if you even can just purchase the sire by itself.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Buy the alarm from Pacific or Circle BMW. Just over $200. The tilt sensor takes 10 minutes install. The motion is 5 minutes. The longest part is the siren and it takes at most 30 minutes as there are about 4 pieces that come off.

Then go to your SERVICE department and tell them that you tried testing the motion sensor on the alarm and you do not think its working. They do not know if your car was delivered with an alarm or not.

Your car is a 2003 so I have to assume its still under warranty and the alarm is covered under warranty. They will try it and the motion sensor will not work and they will reset the code to see if that makes it work (sort of like rebooting the computer). Then it will work and you walk out with no cost. Maybe have something else checked out at the same time if there is anything that you might have as a concern.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts