E46 Fanatics Forum banner

alarm kit and spare fuse?

909 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  low 
#1 ·
i just installed my oem alarm, but the kit came with a fuse that i did not use. nowhere in the installation instructions shows a use for it. is this a 'just in case you blow a fuse' fuse?? im on my way to the dealer to get it activated...replies appreciated, thanks...: popcorn:

#3 ·
digitalgm said:
You dont need the fuse unless you fsck something up :) Congrats on the alarm... get the DEI shock sensor now. You'll LOVE this mod!

AdamR
thanks for the quick response...i'll have to look into that shock sensor too:)

#5 ·
it took about maybe an hour or so, give or take...i also had some help from lyon123. i have a friend that works at bmw, he says just to stop by and he'll activate it..so hopefully that works well...

#8 ·
i just ordered the alarm for mine the other day. is it really that easy to install? i set an appointment up at my dealer to get it installed...they quoted me $250 because it takes 2.5 hrs to do it...and that was the cheapest out of all the dealers i called in houston.

they said it takes 1.5 hours for the install and 1 hour for the programming...is this true?

i know on some website it said you can do the install in less than an hour even if ur not too handy-like. how long did it take u guys?

where can i get the shock sensor mod? if i do decide to install it myself, what should i look to pay at the dealer just to get the programming done?

#9 ·
HOLY CRAAP!!
250!?!?!?!

It will take very very little time to do the install. It took me (17 years old) about an hour.
Also, it does not take an hour to program. The dealer will hook up the car to a computer and touch the screen for about 2 minutes. What he is setting is the alarm and then the personalized settings (ie. if you want the car alarm to go off if you use the door key or if you want it to beep.)
They should charge you around $50-60 if they feel like ripping you off (as they seem to want to.)

If your going to pay $250, you may as well ask some random person at a gas station to do it... as long as you can read, it's easy. Plus, there are a lot of DIYs here that will have better pictures and if you hit any problems, just ask us.

-Chris

#11 ·
yeah you need to go to the dealer to get it programmed, cost me like $50, but as for alarm install, it's simple! The write up at www.my330i.com is great and it took me about an hour and a half total.

#12 ·
really simple install...the instructions are not written with very much detail but after fiddling around under your hood, you kinda figure it out...not worth the 250 dollar charge...

#14 ·
lyon123 said:

that estimate is a bit conservative isn't? i seem to remember someone struggling under the hood :lmao: :blink:

20 min at most..during all that time i was sipping on my boba!!:moon:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.