BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just took my 325i (which I bought from someone on this board) over to the dealer today to see about buying an alarm kit. I took my Korean girlfriend along to translate.

I told them I needed an alarm kit since the car came from the factory without the alarm. The service department insisted on trying to activate my alarm anyways and did just that. Now whenever I lock or unlock my doors the lights flash. My alarm light underneath the mirror is now active also.

Does this mean my alarm is now active? I hope so. I just ordered the BMW alarm kit from Circle BMW (225 bux) and will install as soon as it arrives.

The Korean guys offered to order the kit for me. They wanted the equivalent of almost $500 for the kit and installation fee though. I told them I'd call them later and left without paying a penny for whatever it was they did.

Thanks,
Mario

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
I might be wrong, but I believe that they still need to program the motion and tilt sensors. I would just install the alarm myself (look for one of the few DIY's out there), and then test it to make sure it all works.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
ca1242 said:
I might be wrong, but I believe that they still need to program the motion and tilt sensors. I would just install the alarm myself (look for one of the few DIY's out there), and then test it to make sure it all works.

I believe you are wrong.

If the clown nose is active when you lock the doors then alarm is active. The other sensors do not need activating separately.

·
Registered
71 Posts
All you'll need to do is install the alarm kit on your car. Now that the programming is active, it should function properly. On another note, I don't see why having an alarm is so important here in Korea... I think people would more likely vandalize your car rather than try to steal it. You should wire up a shock sensor with the alarm system if you want to be safe. Good luck.

BTW, it seems there are a lot of people in Korea on this board... I assume most of them are military. Every part, whether OEM or aftermarket seems to be about 50% more expensive here. :sad:
Anyways, have you done anything to your car?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I bought my BMW used. The guy who owned it before was slightly obsessed with keeping it in showroom condition and had only put 2900 miles on it. The beater I had been driving was pretty much on its last leg and I was planning on buying a BMW when I left anyways so I snagged this one when it became available. I drive about 30 miles a day and need a dependable car.

The previous owner installed carbon fiber door pillars, custom pedals and shiftknob (I forgot to ask him if he still had the OEM), and did a really nice blackout grill and titanium headlights by hand. He took very good care of the car while he had it. The only reason he was selling was so he could get an M3 before he went back stateside.

I decided to start out with the alarm system because it seems a simple and straight-forward install. It also makes use of items on my car that would otherwise be dormant (the clown nose and motion detector housing). I have a couple of other things on order, but will probably hold off on doing too much till I get it back to the states. It's just too damn hard to keep your car looking nice here, especially if you drive as much as I do. I'm also waiting to see how reliable the postal system here is....

I'll probably switch brake pads soon though. Probably do a custom intake also. I'm really interested in doing the power folding mirror mod. I could actually use that here...

Anyways, that's enough for now,

Mario

Have fun,
Mario

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey Mario,

Seems like the guy who sold you the car got that white M3 on order at military sales- I remember reading a post about that a few weeks back.
Yeah, our cars are impossible to keep clean here - too much dust build-up. I usually try to give it a wash every 1.5 weeks or so. 30 miles at day in Korea is quite a lot of driving!

The only mod I did so far is DDE Lightnings (partially - need 2 replacement rings)
I see a lot of BMWs at YongSan...

Well it's good to meet a local fanatic~ Good luck with your car and maybe we'll pass eachother on the road~ :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
330iDLE said:

BTW, it seems there are a lot of people in Korea on this board... I assume most of them are military. Every part, whether OEM or aftermarket seems to be about 50% more expensive here. :sad:
Anyways, have you done anything to your car?
You short-tour fellows should just ask a long-tour fellow friend in Germany to order the parts for you and do a PayPal or something. I've been ordering parts like crazy for all of my friends and have been saving them between 25-50%...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Before I installed my alarm, my dealer "activated" the light flash of the parking lights when you locked and unlocked and that activation also included the blinking clown nose on the mirror.

Once I installed the alarm (very easy DIY) the system would make a chirp when I locked and unlocked. However, when I tested the motion sensor, nothing happened. I took it to the dealer since its under warranty (they had no idea the alarm was installed after I had bought the car) and told them that the alarm motion sensor did not seem to be working. They tested and could not get it to work so they "reset" the alarm and now everything works. So my guess is that you will have to go in for a dealer activation, but the car must be still under warranty so hopefully they will do it with no cost.

(test the motion sensor by leaving the windows down, arm the system by locking with key fob and PRESSING only once (2x deactivates the motion) and then reach in the car. If the alarm is on it will go off)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree with PDACPA, it sounds like they activated your flashing lights for the key less remote. It should work fine once the alarm is installed especially sine the car is pre-wired. Just remind them to set you motion censor.

P.S.
cv4n2, my niece is on tour in Germany as we speak. She is SPC Rebecca Reynolds. She was also in Iraq when the Sh#t hit the fan operating a Patriot Missile battery.

You all be safe.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mario325i said:
Hi,

I just took my 325i (which I bought from someone on this board) over to the dealer today to see about buying an alarm kit. I took my Korean girlfriend along to translate.

I told them I needed an alarm kit since the car came from the factory without the alarm. The service department insisted on trying to activate my alarm anyways and did just that. Now whenever I lock or unlock my doors the lights flash. My alarm light underneath the mirror is now active also.

Does this mean my alarm is now active? I hope so. I just ordered the BMW alarm kit from Circle BMW (225 bux) and will install as soon as it arrives.

The Korean guys offered to order the kit for me. They wanted the equivalent of almost $500 for the kit and installation fee though. I told them I'd call them later and left without paying a penny for whatever it was they did.

Thanks,
Mario
Mario, you enjoying that clean ride? You don't need an alarm here in Korea, you'd be better off upgrading that Harmon Kardon system instead.:D

Anyway, good luck with your install, check your PM's concerning your Title.:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts