BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
The one I have works. If anyone wants to make a better adapter to connect to the IC the pinouts are in the attached image.
AK90+-PC-PIN-LAYOUT.gif

·
Registered
24 Posts
Got my second AK90 unit, this time from China. It didn't beep, however it read my EWS on the first try and successfully made a duplicate key, I did not try to write a new key to the EWS. I'll attempt that after I verify I can at least duplicate keys. I will post another update when I write a new key with this new unit. For anyone interested, here is the listing I purchased. The seller had multiple positive feedback posts about the unit, so it was promising. AK90+ Fit For BMW V3.19 AK90 Plus OBD2 Auto Key Programmer Tool From 1995-2009 | eBay

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,209 Posts
Where are you sourcing the blank keys from? I am looking at the following ebay listing which offers a laser cut key for $29.99 delivered in four days (supposedly):

On July 9 I recieved the AK90+ (shipped from China) I mentioned in post #40 but haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,209 Posts
Where are you sourcing the blank keys from? I am looking at the following ebay listing which offers a laser cut key for $29.99 delivered in four days (supposedly):

On July 9 I recieved the AK90+ (shipped from China) I mentioned in post #40 but haven't tried it yet.
So, ordered one of these ebay blank key with cut included and had it in hand within 2 business days. $32 delivered. Accurately cut from picture I emailed, and what appears to be decent quality.

The AK90+ from China was functional and the adaptor socket was orientated correctly. It read the original and blank key no problem but communicating with the ews was trickier. I got the "AK90 Pin No Touch" warning three or four times, at least, but kept going back and re-scraping the coating off the chip pins with a pocket knife and adjusted my grip to apply firm and even pressure of the adaptor socket onto the ews chip. (Thumb pushing up under the chip/circuit board, with index and middle fingers pulling the socket down onto top of the chip.) Finally the AK program was able to read the EWS, which takes almost a minute or so.

When writing the new blank key, it suggested writing to slot #3 which was already one of three in use. Once it finished writing to #3, the program was done and did not prompt to write back the key info to the ews.

Back in the car, after reinstalling the ews, I did the synchronization procedure with both keys. The new key started up the car with no problem and the original one seems to work as well. Victory!

41 - 44 of 44 Posts