BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot get my AK90 to work. I installed the software on several laptops with Windows XP 32-bit, Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8 64-bit, and Windows 10 64-bit. I installed the software with the AK90 plugged in and installed the Silicon Labs software. I can read keys. However, I keep getting the Pin No Touch Error. I sanded down the contacts on the chip on the EWS. I also tried using 2 different EWS modules. I tried a different USB cable. Nothing seems to be working. I have tried putting the connector on all four positions with lots of pressure, but I cannot get the AK90 to communicate with the EWS. I ordered another AK90 as I am beginning to think that mine is defective. Has anyone had any luck with their AK90?

·
Registered
48 Posts
It took me several tries in all directions with a lot of pressure for it to work. Does the reading the chip/key in the slot work?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I cleaned the pins on the ews well with a box cutter and just kept trying all 4 sides with decent pressure and it eventually read. It's very fiddly

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered a new AK90 and have no problems with the keys. The old AK90 was defective from the package. When I plug in the new AK90, it beeps. However, the defective one does not beep when plugged into the USB port. I was able to make keys for all 4 of my E46s and used sandpaper to sand off the chip.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Jeez***8230;..just got my AK90 and having the EXACT same issue. No beep, reads keys, won't read EWS.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The units cable is very finicky, if its not contacting all the pins solidly at the same time, it won't work. Make sure all the pins on the chip are nice and clean, top to bottom. Use a magnifying glass to have a really good look at them as the tiny bits varnish left on the pins is enough to break the circuit. Also look at the cable end as well, the stuff can get in there as well. It has to sit perfectly straight on top, a bit sideways, and it won't connect. You could try elastic bands around the head and the board to keep it tight to the board.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've cleaned the pins multiple times, even resorting to a Dremel with wire brush and some alcohol. I'm fairly certain the pins are clean. I've also cleaned the tips in the connector. I read somewhere that the unit was supposed to beep when plugged in. Anyone know if that's true. Mine does NOT beep.

·
Registered
600 Posts
It beeps soon as you connect it to the USB port. Again when you fire up the software. I now always place mine on top a piece of cardboard. First time I used it, it didn't work. Tried pushing on the cable when it was on the table top (hard surface), found one of the pins on the board was bent over, shorting a capacitor. Straightened the pin and its worked fine since then. Check your EWS, you may have the same issue.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Mine never beeps. Also, I believe mine is an ESW3 and there's a picture in there that says something about connecting 12v power? It's just a picture, no instructions, but it does say that's for OD46J EWS3? Anyone know anything about that?

·
Registered
600 Posts
It should beep soon as you connect the USB to the computer, even without being connected to the unit. EWS3 does not need the external 12V power, it should work just the way it is. Run the program then click on the chip models menu to see if your chip is listed. Try a different USB cable, still no go, try uninstalling and reinstall the software. If still nothing, you have a bad unit.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have already tried uninstalling/reinstalling multiple times. The picture that pops up clearly show OD46J (my chip) and then it shows it plugged into some sort of adapter that supplies 12 to some specific pin. When you look up AK90 and EWS3 with OD46J chip, they offer some $50.00 adapter!? I have no idea whether I need that or not?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have the exact same chip OD46J, no 12V adapter required. When the unit starts up, it may show you these images, just go past them and it should take you to the programming section. If you still get the no touch pin error, the chip plug is not making contact. The yellow cover on the adapter is just a piece of heat shrink tubing, squeeze it at the curved section just above the top of the square part, then remove the cover exposing the connector. Pull it out then attach it to the chip and hold it in position, then try running the software again.

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
I appreciate the response, but I have already pulled that sleeve up and held it loosely, tightly, and every which way you could possibly think of! I read a post that said something about "only one revision of the OD46J" requiring the K line adapter. My car is a 2004. Ever heard anything about that? I've tried everything I have read online. My AK90 never beeps. I have a really hard time reading the text on my chip, but I am almost certain it says OD46J. I don't know.....frustrating. The seller said they would send me another AK90, but that takes like 3 weeks :(

·
Registered
962 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
I ordered a new AK90 and have no problems with the keys. The old AK90 was defective from the package. When I plug in the new AK90, it beeps. However, the defective one does not beep when plugged into the USB port. I was able to make keys for all 4 of my E46s and used sandpaper to sand off the chip.
Does the beep come from the unit itself? Mine definitely does not beep. When you say "sand off the chip, you mean just the metal pins, or the top of the chip itself?

·
Registered
600 Posts
The EWS I'm using I picked up at the wreckers just for testing purposes. It came out of a wrecked 2003 325i (WBAEV33403KL60172) and it connects with no problem, can code keys as well. On this chip it has this info: EWS_SW08, PM-FT, XC93222CFN, OD4SJ, NMQQUR0235, 50/02. I have a jewelers lens, so I can see all the numbers. Try getting a good look at them through a camera lens, see what they are. When it works on this EWS3 it should work on yours.

·
Registered
962 Posts
NMQQHT030() Can't read that last number
OD46J
XC93222CFN
SWC08

This is from a 2004 330CIC. It looks like the chips are not identical?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I suggest just buying another AK90 from a US Ebay seller. I was really mad with the time I wasted trying to get my defective AK90 working. I spent 6 months thinking that the AK90 was really finicky until the person using my 330i lost the key, and I needed an AK90. So I ordered another one, and it worked really easily. I told the seller of the first AK90 to give me a refund, but he just blocked me on Ebay.

This is the link of where I got a working AK90:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ak90-AK90-Auto-Programmer-V3-19-Fit-for-EWS-From-1995-2009-Match-Tool/163681050541?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The AK90 should beep when you plug it in. If it does not, you likely have a defective one. It is better to just get another one than to waste time and get stressed out trying to figure out why it isn't working.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts