E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The vert had an airbag recall that wasn't addressed. Took it in today to the local dealer for them to replace.

They also recommend I do an oil change, coolant flush, power steering flush, alignment, belts....etc.

Yeah, no. It's all been done. Geeze.....

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
The vert had an airbag recall that wasn't addressed. Took it in today to the local dealer for them to replace.

They also recommend I do an oil change, coolant flush, power steering flush, alignment, belts....etc.

Yeah, no. It's all been done. Geeze.....
View attachment 929621
Of course they did!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,751 Posts
It's telling that they didn't ask you what you did under the hood when they saw the M56 valve cover, M50 manifold, etc etc.

But I'm sure they didn't even pop the hood. Which means they didn't even check the fluids, which means their recommendations are just boilerplate.

Rule #1 of car dealerships: Dealers are NOT car people.

·
Registered
2003 325i (M54B30 swap)
717 Posts
I mean in fairness, most people (not enthusiasts) that still have an E46 at this point probably need all that work done and then some. It would be better if they actually looked over everything before recommending it, but its probably 90% accurate as far as the cars they have coming in.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
A good test would be to drop a nice big old pile of fake dog poo on the valve cover. Then see if the tech really did anything.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,494 Posts
I once bought a Mazda MPV that came back from a lease. I took it to Big O Tire for an oil change the weekend following my purchase, they came back with a list that basically said everything behind the hood ornament needed to be serviced. This is normal. Is it right? Maybe not. But it's normal.

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know they didn't pop the hood because I watched them from the big glass window they have in the service waiting room. They only touched the airbags.

Anyway, I just shook my head and said no. Give me my car please. No time for nonsense.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Agree on boiler-plate, however, not universal. Dealer did "21 point" inspection when doing my driver's side airbag, . Yeah some fluff but they were spot on. Caught items where I was unaware. Big mark-up but, in my experience, BMW techs in Dallas are sharp, well-trained, and well equipped.

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh.....I asked if flashing the software to the most current version is a recall item.

No, it's elective and they charge 4 hours labor to do it.

·
Registered
10,494 Posts
Oh.....I asked if flashing the software to the most current version is a recall item.

No, it's elective and they charge 4 hours labor to do it.

4 hours? It takes longer to walk to the tool box to get the scanner and bring it back than it takes to flash the memory.

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
4 hours? It takes longer to walk to the tool box to get the scanner and bring it back than it takes to flash the memory.
It's probably what's in the book for labor times. They'll charge it even if it only takes half the time.

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
4,309 Posts
I know they didn't pop the hood because I watched them from the big glass window they have in the service waiting room. They only touched the airbags.

Anyway, I just shook my head and said no. Give me my car please. No time for nonsense.
If they come at me with a list, I am going to play stupid and ask if they can put it up and show me the work they plan on doing. Lol, that is going to be a moment...

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
4,309 Posts
Damn, that's clean. Nice.
223,500 miles and counting. Off to Watkins Glen NY on Monday and returning though VIR until Sunday. Should put another 1,500 miles on her next week.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts