BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at an 01 330i which was affected by the airbag recall, however the airbag light is still on. Seller says it might be a bad censor however it's suspicious that it was recalled but the light is still on. Also requires some force to get into second or third gear which seller also says is due to the bushings is going. Is it plausible that it's a censor or would it be something else? Also, if so wondering what replacement cost could be for both the bushings & censor.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Most likely the seat occupancy sensor in the passenger seat. You can replace the sensor itself which is very costly, or you can purchase a bypass somewhere online. Please note that in a collision, whichever sensor is malfunctioning will cause the corresponding seat's airbag (most likely passenger) to not activate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had the same issue with a 02 745i with passenger seat airbag light. You'll need a autologic or BMW software to rest that SRS airbag light. Or it maybe disconnected, they are the big yellow harnesses under the seats.

As far as the rough-shifting goes, does it grind at all and how rough of a shift are we talking about? Is it a forceful shift or a little more of a push/pull then a normal shift?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had the same issue with a 02 745i with passenger seat airbag light. You'll need a autologic or BMW software to rest that SRS airbag light. Or it maybe disconnected, they are the big yellow harnesses under the seats.

As far as the rough-shifting goes, does it grind at all and how rough of a shift are we talking about? Is it a forceful shift or a little more of a push/pull then a normal shift?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
If it's disconnected would it still be able to be safety certified? Also it doesn't grind, it's just the lever is a little more difficult to push into second and third.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most likely the seat occupancy sensor in the passenger seat. You can replace the sensor itself which is very costly, or you can purchase a bypass somewhere online. Please note that in a collision, whichever sensor is malfunctioning will cause the corresponding seat's airbag (most likely passenger) to not activate.
Would a bypass effect a safety certification?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If it's disconnected would it still be able to be safety certified? Also it doesn't grind, it's just the lever is a little more difficult to push into second and third.

Could be a bad shifter cup.

As far as airbags go, considering all cars literally have been recalled for airbags I would call a local dealer explain your situation about the airbags and figure out how to address it.

Unless had this guy recently changed his battery on his own?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts