E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please somebody,
I bought an airbag off a person on the forum, whos car was in an accident. The airbag seemed intact. When I took it to the BMW dealership to put it in, they told me that the airbag is faulty. I have a 2000 328CI. I have had a round airbag in there before, but there have been no problems. When Downtown BMW, BMW Autohaus & Town and Country BMW did a diagnostics test on it, they advised me that it was faulty. At first it was not a big deasl to me, because they got it in. Then when the mechanic was testing it, the horn did not work. Also, the airbag light did not turn off. They have confirmed it DOA.

Does anyone out there have any advice please.

Thank you

Johnny

·
Owner
4,044 Posts
Contact the seller. You will have to convice him to take it back. If he knew about this before he sold it and still sold it to you, he should take it back. If he had no idea however, then you might be stuck with it cuz most personal classified transactions are 'as is' type of sales. Meaning, since he's not a store, he probably doesn't have a return policy. You will have to talk with the seller and sort things out. Good luck.

·
Registered
961 Posts
The horn has nothing to do with the airbag, how do they know the airbag is faulty? When you installed it did you remove the battery? If not you only got an error code there for having it removed and reinstalled, why did you replace your airbag? Man, you need to give us a lot more of information before we can help you out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Airbag??

Dude,
All I do is, give them the car keys in one hand and the airbag in the other. HOW THE HELL DO I KNOW WHAT THEY DO!!!!!!!!!!!. I am no mechanic or something. I do not sit in the shop watching them do their duty. You have to trust BMW mechanics. If you do not trust them, who can you trust. Our cars come from them. They know BMW's inside out. This is BMW, not some CHOP SHOP that is doing some 2 bit job. They said that they did what they had to. I took it to 3 dealerships, they all said the same. Obviously they are not lying to me or messing up 3 times. These are not idiots working on my car. BMW means something. They have never let me down, never. Dude, it is simple. Another member, Vince, the Paddle Shift Retrofit guy had a similar problem with his Airbag. Did not work. He took it to plenty of mechanics, they all diagnosed it as defective.

I do not know what to do. Just asking for help.

·
Alpha Male
6,560 Posts
Re: Airbag??

Eichelruck said:
Dude,
All I do is, give them the car keys in one hand and the airbag in the other. HOW THE HELL DO I KNOW WHAT THEY DO!!!!!!!!!!!. I am no mechanic or something. I do not sit in the shop watching them do their duty. You have to trust BMW mechanics. If you do not trust them, who can you trust. Our cars come from them. They know BMW's inside out. This is BMW, not some CHOP SHOP that is doing some 2 bit job. They said that they did what they had to. I took it to 3 dealerships, they all said the same. Obviously they are not lying to me or messing up 3 times. These are not idiots working on my car. BMW means something. They have never let me down, never. Dude, it is simple. Another member, Vince, the Paddle Shift Retrofit guy had a similar problem with his Airbag. Did not work. He took it to plenty of mechanics, they all diagnosed it as defective.

I do not know what to do. Just asking for help.
Johnny easy bro.

Dealerships in the US aren't as honest as Canadian ones. Not saying that all Canadian dealerships are 100% honest. Just that our brothern in the US have to deal with service depts that try to screw them more often.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Horn????

To anyone out there wondering what the horn has to do with anything. I read it here http://www.my330i.com/mod4.php. It says at the end that the horn should work if the airbag is working. BMW has told me the same. Something about the horn signal going through the aribag because that is what you press to get the horn working. I do not know. I have no idea. Just asking for help.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clem is understanding. Thank you.

Thank you Clem. I appreciate it very very much. I did not know that dealerships in the US are like that. Alot of the dealerships over here have people that do not even speak english. PURE GERMANS. They seriously know what they are doing. Everytime there is a problem, they promise me 3 days before it is fixed, but have it fixed the same day. They have never let me down. EVER.
I have already spent $600CAD to diagnose it. I did not know it would cost soo much.

My car is finally up and running, I have the airbag installed, but I am not touching the airbag. I dont know what to do.
Clem, would you please have some answers.

Thank you.

Please someone help.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AIRBAG>>???

Hey Munich,
About the reason why I changed the airbag. I did not. I had a post put up that said my car was robbed at gunpoint and stripped. The car was in pieces. Insurance is giving me hassle because I am 21 and have had 3 people drive into my Acura Legend, 3.2TL and 2.5TL 3 times. So they are taking their sweet time. Over here in Canada, insurance is a B***H.

Thank you.
Please help me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts