BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My airbag light stays on while driving, do you guys have any possible answers? and my seatbelt warning doesn't notify me when i'm not wearing seatbelt. (i wanna be annoyed whenever i'm risking my life ya know)

PASOFT (SRS) currently has the following codes:

Fault currently not present
-02 [002] Driver's belt tensioner, resistance too high
-70 [112] Seat Occupancy detector, break of seat mat

Shadow: (fault currently not present)
-02 [002] Driver's belt tensioner, resistance too high

Should clearing these codes solve the issues? (i'm still new to PASOFT)
I've read that the airbag light can come on if the tensioner resistance is too high, is that so? how can i fix it?

Also stupid question: should i worry that my airbags will deploy out of nowhere if the airbag light is on while driving? or that it might not deploy if i get into an accident?

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
The seat occupancy sensor ya a common issue with the passenger seat. You can replace it. No, your airbags won’t go off erroneously.

The seat belt tensioners gave a small explosive (yup) charge that are designed to take up all slack in the case of a frontal impact. The high resistance fault means that the electrical resistance in the ignitor is too high.

Clear the codes and see what comes back.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The seat occupancy sensor ya a common issue with the passenger seat. You can replace it. No, your airbags won’t go off erroneously.

The seat belt tensioners gave a small explosive (yup) charge that are designed to take up all slack in the case of a frontal impact. The high resistance fault means that the electrical resistance in the ignitor is too high.

Clear the codes and see what comes back.
How do i know if its the passenger seat and not the driver's seat? and is it related to why the airbag light is on?

·
Registered
BMW 325i 2001 Manual
367 Posts
How do i know if its the passenger seat and not the driver's seat? and is it related to why the airbag light is on?

It’s the passenger seat occupancy sensor because driver seat doesn’t have one, how would a car drive without the driver seat being empty?

There is a cheap module to over ride the passengers occupancy sensor, be warned though air bags will deploy even if the passenger seat is not occupied... so I would NOT advise it.

The seat belt tensioner is definitely common, I went to a junk yard and got about 6 of them, 2 turned out to be faulty and 4 were good. They charged me about 10$ per if I recall. Some states don’t allow the sale of SRS equipment so you might need to buy it new.

Airbag light will be on if either the sensor or tensioner are not good. I replaced my passenger seat as a whole to fix the occupancy sensor, and replaced the driver side tensioner 2 times already.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts