E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took my car to a BMW dealership to get it serviced and when it was ready for pickup, I started the car and the airbag light is staying on. This wasn't the case until after it has been with them for 5 days. The dealer is now telling me that it is a problem that they need to diagnose. Is it possible that the dealership is responsible for any damages (if there is) o to the airbag system or is it just a case of getting the light reset, or a coincidence that when they turned the car on it went on as well?

thoughts?

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
When the car comes in for service it gets inspected and documented of whats wrong and whats broken and if it leaves the shop with problems that were non existent before repair , the shop is responsible for repairs

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car came in and the SA walked around the outside of the car to inspect for any visible damage. Does the key save the information of when the airbag light came on? because they never checked or started the car and looked on the dashboard before the service.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
They must've looked at the dashboard and they always scan the car for codes before proceeding to any repair . Just go back and demand a repair , because if the light was on before the car came they must have documented it . And if the light came on RIGHT after the repair, like right after you drove the car from the shop, they're responsible for repair

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What work did they do on the car? lets start with that

And what planet are you on? i love when people leave their info blank.

they did rear struts replacement, front control arm bushings replacement, 4 wheel alignment, replaced transmission drain plugs and topped up fluid, and I asked them to diagnose a clunk noise coming from the rear when shifting so they removed the drive shaft and found the output shaft seals needed replacing.

the car is a 2005 bmw 325i btw.

and planet earth, canada, BC

·
Registered
DDing an only somewhat-janky four-season miata
12,042 Posts
The shop is not necessarily immediately responsible for fixing your airbag light. Did you take the car with the airbag light on? If so, you may already be SOL.

Talk to the shop, see if they may be able to at least diagnose it for you at no additional charge since you most likely just took out a second mortgage for the work you had them do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well the last time i used the car was to bring it to the dealer and no it didn't have the airbag light on. maybe it was a coincidence that the next time it would be turned on, the dash airbag lit up.
the dealer did say that they will do a diagnosis for free. I will be taking it there on friday and letting you guys know what happens.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Mind sharing what it cost for the repairs you stated ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
~~ $ 2050 CAD

99 for 4 wheel alignment
480 for front control arm bushings
456 for rear shocks
54.20 for clunk noise diagnosis
108.40 for transmission drain plug bolt replacement and fluid change
564 for trans shift shaft seal and output shaft seal

and taxes

what do you guys think about the price? Fair?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Mother of !!!!!!

Damn... Bushings are about $120 + 1 hour of labour... Shocks are about $120 each and less than 1hour of labour...

Wish i had your wallet ;-)

I keep forgetting how much money i save myself

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
~~ $ 2050 CAD

99 for 4 wheel alignment
480 for front control arm bushings
456 for rear shocks
108.40 for transmission drain plug bolt replacement and fluid change
564 for trans shift shaft seal and output shaft seal

and taxes

You got raped and I bet you those taxes didnt help , Whats the taxes In BC ? Is It like Quebec ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got my bimmer the other day, after driving around a couple days my airbag light came on. Looking forward to hearing what they had to say about it.. hopefully they will say something that will help me too..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
12%

but before i proceeded to get it serviced by the dealer i asked for quotes from a reputable indy BMW shop and quotes were pretty much the same maybe i would have saved around ~100.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
~~ $ 2050 CAD

99 for 4 wheel alignment Good price
480 for front control arm bushings Im sorry but you paid 4 times as much
456 for rear shocks Good price from dealer
108.40 for transmission drain plug bolt replacement and fluid changeGood deal
564 for trans shift shaft seal and output shaft seal These are 10$ items but they take at least 3 hours each to do

and taxes

You got a fairly good deal keeping in mind this is from the dealership. But also you need to keep in mind that if you would've done it yourself it would cost you :

-99 for alignment
-120 for bushes + 2 hours of your labor
-89*2 for oem rear shocks (Pelican.ca) and literally 20 min
-The 2 seals would've cost you $30 and take you a good 4-6 hours to complete

At the end I still think you got an alright deal ONLY because it was from an authorized dealer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.