E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I've recently bought an e46 and got hold of the INPA SW just now.

The previous owner said to me that during a recent trip before selling the car side and curtain driver's airbag just poped off out of nowhere.

I did scan what I thought was the most critical places for errors using the software after driving for some weeks(transmission and airbags... engine only had 1 lambda error sensor).

Could you guys help me translate the errors attached? Specially the one from the airbag since the owner even sent me "new" ones from a scrapyard for replacement.

Regarding the exchange of the airbags I would just like to know if maybe there is a malfunction of the sensor or something that made them go off. So I dont replace them to just go off again in the same manner...

Another thing, when trying to read the gearbox temperature even with the car turned off the analog value read around 116°c maybe there is a problem with the sensor reading?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just did a google search for the transmission error.

The car is shifting fine and had the transmission fluid exchanged together with the cooling unit at 90k. Maybe that caused the problem? Should I be worried?

Obs. Also according to the error the transmission light is on but I do not see it on the dash... there is only the airbag light

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can look up BMW-specific error codes here: BMW Fault Code Lookup - BMWFaultCodes

INPA always provides a description, but sometimes in German.
Google the error code and/or description to find what others did to solve it.
Thanks Bali! Did that...

It seems that the BST exploded someday... I found one strange additional cable with a fuse that goes on the positive terminal trough the trunk.. to god knows where... It seems that the car wont start with the errors I have right now but since the previous owner bypassed the plus terminal with this additional cable the car works normally.

I will look to get a BST terminal and install it removing this another jumper wire... Do you happen to have any ideia to where this might be going?

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok... After reading some posts it seems that this error "Internal fault" from the MRS module is like the Blue Screen of death for it...

Since in my report it is not with "Fehler momentan vorhanden" should I assume it is recovered from it? Maybe this error appeared when the airbag deployed and it is a false error/consequence?

I was planning on:

1 - Order new BST (done) and change it
2 - Change both airbags while battery disconnected
3 - Clear errors

If the internal error disappears.... it should be good to go right?

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to keep it updated...

After some more research I found an bmw official info about this MRS modules, follow below (Taken from the MRS technical training documents):

Since I've got the internal error(Not possible to erase errors anymore, coding not possible) I will interpret this has this module deployed already 3 times and there is nothing much do to except change it or send for special repair with uP tools

I ordered both airbags + BST + new module (Same PN 65778372521 MRSZ2/12)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'm dealing with the same issue on my E46. The previous owners popped the passenger door airbag and the passenger curtain airbag on my car. I have the new passenger airbag and I'm waiting to purchase the curtain. I had my car scanned at a BMW dealership last week and my understanding is once the module has a recorded crash in telegram memory you have to replace it. I got a quote for parts and labor of $1100 which seems pretty fair to me. I'll get it done eventually.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,729 Posts
IIRC the module will function with up to THREE trigger events. Can be seen with many tools.
If you only had the one event? Should be fine with a proper installation and clearing.
Predicated upon how many trigger events it's had in the past. Check first.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IIRC the module will function with up to THREE trigger events. Can be seen with many tools.
If you only had the one event? Should be fine with a proper installation and clearing.
Predicated upon how many trigger events it's had in the past. Check first.
Hello MrmCar!

How would it be possible to see how many events were triggered in the lifetime of the unit?

I just bought this car used.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
I do such with my GT-1. IIRC the common tool used for coding/selecting options (I just forger the name now) shows how many trigger events.
Someone help me with the name of the computer based tool that lets you fiddle with lighting options etc...

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
INPA, right, Don? From the logs, looks like OP's using that.

My project commuter had 2 blown bags-
I used PASoft's BMWScanner 1.4 to interrogate the
module and reset it.

It has had one 'event' and is working fine.

I would suspect the 'internal error' is old age and treachery...
these things aren't getting any younger.

But yeah, the 'replace SRS module' diagnosis would be the same.

fwiw.

t

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
PA Soft.
Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
INPA, right, Don? From the logs, looks like OP's using that.

My project commuter had 2 blown bags-
I used PASoft's BMWScanner 1.4 to interrogate the
module and reset it.

It has had one 'event' and is working fine.

I would suspect the 'internal error' is old age and treachery...
these things aren't getting any younger.

But yeah, the 'replace SRS module' diagnosis would be the same.

fwiw.

t
Yea...

My fear is that according to the previous owner he stated that:

"The airbags simply deployed during normal driving"

What are the chances of that really happening? Since it is not possible to erase errors they are there... I only see "Short to ground"

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Yea...

My fear is that according to the previous owner he stated that:

"The airbags simply deployed during normal driving"

What are the chances of that really happening? Since it is not possible to erase errors they are there... I only see "Short to ground"
I'd try BMW Scanner to look at the module. If it can't get a rational answer
from the module, I'd say that 'maybe' the bags deployed.

But if you can get an answer, it'll tell you what the events were.
In my case, ( 5-01 ) the driver's side accelerometer recorded high g's,
which agreed with the bent strut and control arm...

t

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd try BMW Scanner to look at the module. If it can't get a rational answer
from the module, I'd say that 'maybe' the bags deployed.

But if you can get an answer, it'll tell you what the events were.
In my case, ( 5-01 ) the driver's side accelerometer recorded high g's,
which agreed with the bent strut and control arm...

t
Is there a difference reading errors with the BMW Scanner 1.4 or INPA?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts