E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After washing the winter grime off my 330xi (135miles, six speed), I heard a loud 'POP!'. Don't laugh...the pop was so loud that you would think a tire blew out. Really.
I surveyed the car: tires (chuckle, chuckle...), under the hood and undercarriage and interior airbags. Of course, I found nothing unusual or exploded.
When I started the car, the Airbag light remains lit.

I swear to you---and to my wife---that I was not touching the car when something pneumatic exploded. It just happened while I was present.

Something else---that may be 100% unrelated: the front bumper cover was replaced 3 months ago after a minor mishap with a snow-bank.

*Is this at all common?
*Is there a likely culprit of airbag pneumatic failure: a coupling, sensor, module?
*Could any airbag-related lines get pinched/cut when a new bumper cover is installed?
*Is this a job for the dealer?
*Is my beloved car out to get me?

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,
dean

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi all,

I am replying to my own post...in hopes it may assist others...

The driver's side tensioner failed. It blew up.
Replacement was @200USD all-in from very good indie shop.

Cheers,
Dean

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Yeah, that really really really does not supposed to happen. You must have gotten some sort of grime or whatnot in your seatbelt tensioner or airbag module. I would look at both very carefully and check for leaks of somesort. Saltwater is highly corrosive on electronics. The airbag module is located under the center console, in-between the driver's seat and passenger's seat.

The airbag module probably has data stored in it as a result of its activation. Get the data off of it (it's stored there until BMW gets it out for research purposes) and ask if you can look at it.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Yeah, that really really really does not supposed to happen. You must have gotten some sort of grime or whatnot in your seatbelt tensioner or airbag module. I would look at both very carefully and check for leaks of somesort. Saltwater is highly corrosive on electronics. The airbag module is located under the center console, in-between the driver's seat and passenger's seat.

The airbag module probably has data stored in it as a result of its activation. Get the data off of it (it's stored there until BMW gets it out for research purposes) and ask if you can look at it.
The airbag tensioner has a pyrotecnic circut that activates the airbag.
To activate the pyrotecnic you need to send 12v on one of it's leads.

I don't see how you accidentaly put voltage in a circut by washing the car ?

Call BMW and tell them what happened..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts