BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the tire completely flat? Does the valve stem appear to be damaged? Can you If it is the valve stem it will cost you to have the tire taken off, valve stem changed and tire remounted and balanced. $20-$30?
The tire isnt compelety Flat but id say about 75% of the air is in thre. I wonder how safe driving will be.

I have 4 Winter tires in the car That I was supposed to put on yesterday but it didnt get done so their still in the car, going to do it tommorow morning. I wonder how long i can drive like this.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
valve core.. is like 40 cents.. but you should get it rebalanced
the valve itself will be cheap, but it will cost him to have the tire taken off then remounted and balanced.

OP If the tire isn't flat, if you take off the valve stem cover will air come out? If air doest come out when the cap is off, the valve stem may be ok. It could be your pump connection, are you able to put air in the other tires with no problem?

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the valve itself will be cheap, but it will cost him to have the tire taken off then remounted and balanced.

OP If the tire isn't flat, if you take off the valve stem cover will air come out? If air doest come out when the cap is off, the valve stem may be ok. It could be your pump connection, are you able to put air in the other tires with no problem?
The other tires were fine when I put air in. But this one when I hooked it up no air was going it, I could just hear air coming out. I think its the valve stem

·
Registered
873 Posts
In all likelihood, it's just the valvestem core. The tip of the core is likely missing or bent so that it doesn't recede downwards and open up the valve. Slip a new core in there and you'll be good to go.

If, for some bizarre reason, the new core doesn't help, bring it to a tire shop and have them install a new stem. They will NOT have to dismount the whole tire and charge you for balancing. Just have them break the front bead, cut the old stem out, and install a new one. It'll cost you 3 bucks at BJ's, or maybe $10 tops at any other shop.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
In all likelihood, it's just the valvestem core. The tip of the core is likely missing or bent so that it doesn't recede downwards and open up the valve. Slip a new core in there and you'll be good to go.

If, for some bizarre reason, the new core doesn't help, bring it to a tire shop and have them install a new stem. They will NOT have to dismount the whole tire and charge you for balancing. Just have them break the front bead, cut the old stem out, and install a new one. It'll cost you 3 bucks at BJ's, or maybe $10 tops at any other shop.
+1 on the core. Aside from a cut or cracked valve stem (which would be easy to see/hear) this is a simple fix. Go to an auto parts store and get some replacement cores (they usually come in packs of a few) and a valve core removal tool. Pull the old core out, insert the new one and you'll in all likelihood be good to go. If not, follow Steve's advice and have the stem replaced, but I'd bet the core will do it.

You didn't by some chance use an fix-a-flat or slime to repair a leak, did you? That'll gunk up a valve in a hurry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts