BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my outside air temperature sensor after hitting a cone in autocross that damaged it. The new one was working perfectly for about a month.. always with two degrees of what the actual air temperature was.

Then, all of the sudden, on a colder day, it kept indicating the previous day's temperature despite the fact that it was about 20 degrees cooler.

It is NOT reading the +122 or -40 like many may otherwise suggest indicates a closed or open loop respectively. It is just off by some ten degrees.

I wiped off the sensor, and the temperature came down to what seemed to be correct, but since then it has consistently been reading between 5 and 10 degrees too warm.

Is there a way to calibrate the thing? I know it reads based off of resistance, perhaps I could change the gauge of wire or wire length and look for a particular resistance at a particular temperature as a calibration?? Just guessing. I am fairly certain the sensor itself is not bad.

Ideas??

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm having a similar problem, except mine seems to be reading 5-10° lower than actual temps. It seemed to be pretty accurate for the two months I've owed the car until noticing the difference yesterday.

I've had several BMWs with outside temp gauges over the last 20+ years and I've always been impressed with the accuracy.

I'm bummed.

Also looking for ideas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts