BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
JawKnee Motorsports
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 56k on my '00 328 5-speed, with the clutch replaced at 50k along with a 13.4 lb ltw flywheel per TSB 21 01 01. I guess sometime after that (early September I'd say), I started to notice a quiet "air puff" or "whoosh" noise within a second or so after the clutch has been fully released and returns to its normal resting position --- and only in 1st gear as well. It will not do it if one disengages and releases the clutch while in neutral for instance. In addition, not too long after first noticing this "air puff" on my car, I started to notice the same thing on my girl's '01 330i with 45k miles with a few mods! Funny thing is, neither one of us had heard this noise before I noticed it on my car.

This air puff/whoosh noise is really quiet so one really has to listen for it. Windows down, radio on, and/or hard throttle application upon releasing the clutch will drown the noise out.

I recently went for a test drive with a tech in my car and he seemed a little puzzled. We fortunately found another 328 manual on the lot and was able to replicate the behavior/noise right away. Therefore, he thinks it's normal.

Can anyone offer some thoughts and/or verify if you experience the same noise? THANKS!

So far, 2 328s and 1 330 have duplicated this noise...

·
Euro.Techniks
4,209 Posts
my step doesn't have that

·
Spider bite victim #1
202 Posts
Yes I'm having the same problem. I've mentioned this about a thousand times on this board and everyone seems to ignore my statement. Anyway, every morning right when I drive off, and when my clutch is engaged in 1st gear, I hear this slight whooshing noise from the engine or somewhere in the cabin. I guess you can say it sounds like a slow moving train with a quiet "CHOOOO.....CHOOOO....CHOOOO" sound. It's awful.

I have about 21,000 miles and I'm wondering if I should take my car in for my full service inspect 1. When is a good time to get your car fully serviced? At what miles?

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,344 Posts
My '00 323Ci makes the same whoosh sound when I release the clutch. It's done it forever and I was just wondering about it again this morning. I have about 43k miles on the original clutch now.

Seems like it may be normal if all those other cars make the same noise.

If my car made a "CHOOOO.....CHOOOO....CHOOOO" sound I would take it to the dealer. :eek:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine does it also, but I only started noticing it after having the brake fluid changed to Super blue.

·
Registered
827 Posts
For the longest time I had wondered what was that noise. Thanks for the link JawKnee. :thumbup:

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,344 Posts
An update...

I took my car in to the dealer for some other minor things and mentioned the "whoosh" noise to the service guy. He said he hadn't heard of it before, so I took him out for a ride to hear it firsthand. He was able to hear the sound and was intrigued - I asked if he could find out if it was "normal" or if there was a problem.

They called me back later to say they were replacing the instrument cluster because the vacuum (aka fuel econnomy) gauge was making that noise and it was not really supposed to.

My car has just under 45k miles on it, meaning the warranty is nearly over, so I made a list of EVERY minor thing I could find wrong with the car, made an appointment at the dealer, and went over each item with them. I figured they would deny most of the things, spray some WD40 on some of the other things, and toss the car back to me.

Instead, they ordered new parts to fix each and every thing that was less than perfect. They're still working on the car now, but they gave me a nice 525i as a loaner.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have never notice this noise..

Jawknee, I made an appointment to get my cluch looked at because of the TSB. Can you describe what the noise was to compare to mine. Mine sometimes makes a a rapid clicking noise when realeasing, is that the noise?

·
bored.
1,014 Posts
Re: An update...

slow323ci said:
I took my car in to the dealer for some other minor things and mentioned the "whoosh" noise to the service guy. He said he hadn't heard of it before, so I took him out for a ride to hear it firsthand. He was able to hear the sound and was intrigued - I asked if he could find out if it was "normal" or if there was a problem.

They called me back later to say they were replacing the instrument cluster because the vacuum (aka fuel econnomy) gauge was making that noise and it was not really supposed to.

My car has just under 45k miles on it, meaning the warranty is nearly over, so I made a list of EVERY minor thing I could find wrong with the car, made an appointment at the dealer, and went over each item with them. I figured they would deny most of the things, spray some WD40 on some of the other things, and toss the car back to me.

Instead, they ordered new parts to fix each and every thing that was less than perfect. They're still working on the car now, but they gave me a nice 525i as a loaner.
lol i had that problem with my car way back in the day to. they jus replaced my cluster also. it only made that noise when the guage was turning on from being in the all the way left position.

--soheil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts