BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i would just install a knn filter just like the one from gruppe m but without the carbon duct, would that help?

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
the gruppe m doesnt have a knn filter on it...and you need a shield on a filter otherwise its gonna get to much hot air and water and dirt...Im really confused at what your trying todo though? could you explain any better?

·
Mod Squad
12,558 Posts
Are you talking about an intake that looks similar to this, except less "boy racer-ish?"

These are a short ram type of intake. I don't know what kind of gains, if any will be realized with this type of intake, as the majority of the air this thing would be getting is the hot air from the engine bay, in which case staying stock would be better.

·
ILCUTAWOOTIE
3,694 Posts
uh
Gruppe M does come with a KNN filter....i know mine did...
It helps, but like 2hp cause of no heat shield!
-ALex

Get somethign with a heat shield....

·
Registered
24 Posts
To this day, no one has yet proved if the air within the engine bay is truly hot enough to cause a performance drop if you do not use a heatshield on short-ram style intakes.

Everyone goes by common sense (air in engine must be hot since engine is hot), but sometimes reality isn't so ;)

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
No it will not work for one main reason...HEAT

The problem with an open intake on the e46 is heat. The position of the motor gives way for heat not only from the engine bay but also heat blown off the radiator to swell fully in the direction of the air intake. Without a heat shield, this hot air gets sucked into your engine and you will lose power. Yes you will gain a nice throaty intake noise but you will loose massive amounts of power once the engine heats up in about 20 minutes of driving or instantly when temperatures are hot.

A heat shield is necessary so that air is drawn from a cool source. The cooler the air charge means denser air and more power. The hotter the air, less oxygen and less power.

KRK_Bimmer said:
Yeah im talking about a short ram intake just like that.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Don't fool yourself. I've done it so there is your answer.

Take if from people who know, been there done that. Hell I'm one of the Kings of intake experimentation around here.

Look at the temp of your stock airbox plastic and tell me that 180 degree heat entering your airfilter is going to produce more power. It is common sense. Even if you try to produce your own heat shield, it is just to time consuming to do so. If your interested in how intakes work or performing airflow tests, or want to know the effects of heat on your engine etc.. go for it.

You should spend a little more money and go for a ECIS or Racing Dynamics or SPP intake which has a heat shield. If you just want to experiment with what a intake sounds like or the brief amount of power you get before heat sets in, then get a cheap intake with no heat shield. But be prepared to trash for $$ you spend on it.

archspeed said:
To this day, no one has yet proved if the air within the engine bay is truly hot enough to cause a performance drop if you do not use a heatshield on short-ram style intakes.

Everyone goes by common sense (air in engine must be hot since engine is hot), but sometimes reality isn't so ;)

·
Banned
2,277 Posts
GruppeM is <u>not</u> owned by K&N. GruppeM is an independent company based in Japan, which has licensed the "K&N" name/logo.

digitalgm said:
Ummm GruppeM is OWNED by K&N and it DOES include a K&N filter. I can post pics to prove this if necessary.

AdamR

·
Registered
24 Posts
Take if from people who know, been there done that. Hell I'm one of the Kings of intake experimentation around here.
Have you ever tried this experiment?

Measure the engine bay temperature at the short-ram style intake's filter, and at the same time have another thermometer which measures ambient outside temperature? All while you're driving? I believe there are thermometers out there that will allow you to place the sensor at the intake filter and then run the temperature display into the car so you can see the two temperature readings (outside and inside engine bay) while you're driving.

Keyword is "while you're driving".

I agree that the moment you park your car, and open up the hood, you would get fried putting your hands anywhere on the engine components. No doubt there.

But the keyword is still "while you're driving", which is where it's most important.

While you're driving, IS IT TRUE that engine bay temperature is so hot that it would detract from the performance of an unshielded short-ram style intake as oppose to that of an shielded one?

While you're driving. While you're driving. While you're driving.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I actually don't disagree with you guys about getting a heatshield. A heatshield DOES work. And short-ram style intake should get a heatshield...

I don't know how to explain this really well, but ummm, the heatshield is there not entirely just to prevent heat.

Why? Because like I've said before, is it TRUE (proven) that, while you're driving, the engine bay temperature is much hotter than the outside ambient temperature?

A heatshield is actually there for something else, at least based on my study on air flow theories....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts