BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rule Change / clarification
Air filters may be replaced. Air box may be removal as long as factory Mass air Sensor and the intake plumping to manifold is not modified in any way.

OEM air box system $350

Cone filter $75

We have been running a cone type filter from the start because we had a damaged air box and they are dam expensive to replace. This also gives you more room to move things like P/S resistor to a cooler place using stock hoses.

Power? We tested all three of our cars back to back on the dyno two with stock air boxes and one with the cone filter all of them were with in 2 WHP so we did not see a gain from the filter change.

·
Registered
60 Posts
what about specing a new intake?

There were rumors that the K&N intake added 7hp... I am in favor of simple hp gains. Plus, removing that giant box would make quick work in the engine bay easier!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think the rule needs to stay the same, even though it would be nice to remove the large clunky box. As the series matures and the level of competition increases, folks will seize on the opportunity to pick up a few extra hp and try all kinds of creative things with the intake. This would undermine the purpose/spirit of spec rules and become divisive, IMO

Edit: I just checked out the K&N intake. It's relatively cheap and does not appear to lend itself to further tinkering/modification. I'd support a rule change that allowed the installation of this specific part (or another specific part, so long as there was only one choice), or stock.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
i don't see this as being a positive change. the stock airbox is free (ie, comes with the car), can be removed in about a minute, and works well. spec'ing a single alternative is very dangerous. what if they stop making it? what if they change it? what if they raise the price? and allowing any intake opens the door to power increases, and then whichever part is best (regardless of cost) becomes the de facto spec part (until something better comes along, rinse and repeat).

·
Registered
56 Posts
i don't see this as being a positive change. the stock airbox is free (ie, comes with the car), can be removed in about a minute, and works well. spec'ing a single alternative is very dangerous. what if they stop making it? what if they change it? what if they raise the price? and allowing any intake opens the door to power increases, and then whichever part is best (regardless of cost) becomes the de facto spec part (until something better comes along, rinse and repeat).
good points

1 - 11 of 11 Posts