BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got hit on the front bumper driver side and broke some of the plastics behind the bumper. I'm trying to replace everything but am missing a hose and cannot figure out what it is. It connects to the hose on the part in the picture below. The part number for the hose I do have is LU1712930 and it looks like the hose I need connects this hose to the bottom side of the airbox. Anybody know what this is and whether its even important that I replace it?

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Correct. It's alternator cooling hose. On your picture there's lower alternator cooling hose. You're missing the upper hose that attaches to this one on one end and to the alternator on the other end. It's only present on gasoline engines. Diesels don't have it. On gasoline engines I guess it is important to have it to extend life of the alternator. If it wasn't important why would the engineers even put it there they'd probably just omit it as they did on diesels.

Number 7 is what you're looking for:
ALTERNATOR PARTS 90A Bosch

·
Registered
E39 E90 E46 F10
4,916 Posts
Recently got hit on the front bumper driver side and broke some of the plastics behind the bumper. I'm trying to replace everything but am missing a hose and cannot figure out what it is. It connects to the hose on the part in the picture below. The part number for the hose I do have is LU1712930 and it looks like the hose I need connects this hose to the bottom side of the airbox. Anybody know what this is and whether its even important that I replace it?
That would be interesting if it did connect to the airbox. Never seen one of those from the factory or on any of the diagrams. It was a DIY component of the Dinan box but that was the closest.

·
Registered
10,226 Posts
Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of your car’s vehicle identification number. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Scroll down to engine electrical. Scroll down to the appropriate alternator. Huh? BMW sourced alternators from Bosch and Valeo. They are not interchangeable without some work. The only way to tell which alternator is in the car is to read the label at the back of the alternator. Use a flashlight and a mirror to read the label.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts