E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just finished cleaning my air filter, clipped everything back into place, and plugged the sensor back in and now my engine light is on. I had cleaned both the intake filter and the interior filter near the windshield. Any Ideas on what happened?

·
Registered
453 Posts
i sense oil :tsk:

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
What kind of filter and how did you clean it?

If you have a dry filter, did you allow it to dry completely after cleaning it and before starting the engine? If you have an oiled filter, did you over-oil it?

·
Registered
768 Posts
clean your maf with maf cleaner. you probably over oiled it. i know i have before.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well number one would be what is the code.....

I replaced the filter on mine... Immediately got a misfire code... The rubber intake was cracked ( common ) and from moving it around it opened it up..

·
Registered
40 Posts
My first thoughts would be to check the maf to the air box seal.. its really hard to miss.. Then i would start checking for any other possiable air leaks since you were just foolin around with the intake... good luck!

·
Registered
332 Posts
The rubber intake was cracked ( common ) and from moving it around it opened it up..
+1 check the lower elbow tube for cracks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you cleaned the intake filter... what did you use?
I used a K&N air filter cleaning solution and water, thanks for the reply

What kind of filter and how did you clean it?
If you have a dry filter, did you allow it to dry completely after cleaning it and before starting the engine? If you have an oiled filter, did you over-oil it?
OEM Bmw filter, lets say it wasn't dried 100% and lets say there was oil
is it fvcked? thanks for the reply

i sense oil :tsk:
oil bad :( what would be the outcome of the oil ? thanks for the reply

clean your maf with maf cleaner. you probably over oiled it. i know i have before.
I haven't tired that yet, its next on the list, thanks for the reply

Disconnect battery, clean MAF, plug everything back in, reconnect battery.
when i disconnect the battery, does it matter which leed i take off? thanks for the reply

How did you clean your filter?

Well number one would be what is the code.....
I replaced the filter on mine... Immediately got a misfire code... The rubber intake was cracked ( common ) and from moving it around it opened it up..
No code reader yet:facepalm: but I'll get a buddy to check that, thanks for your help

My first thoughts would be to check the maf to the air box seal.. its really hard to miss.. Then i would start checking for any other possiable air leaks since you were just foolin around with the intake... good luck!
I just check for air leaks, didn't find any but i guess its the maf, thanks for your help!

+1 check the lower elbow tube for cracks.
didn't find any, thanks for the reply

Lets say I fvck the oem intake an get an aftermarket one, how would I go about the engine light? I head disconnecting the battery and then re-connecting it will do the trick, or will I have to get someone with a re-set tool?

Thanks everyone for the help!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,947 Posts

OEM Bmw filter, lets say it wasn't dried 100% and lets say there was oil
is it fvcked? thanks for the reply
You can't clean the stock paper filter. They are meant to be thrown away and replaced with a new filter. Replace your filter with a brand new paper filter. Then, carefully use some CRC MAF cleaner to clean your MAF sensor - be careful not to touch the sensor element directly.

Also, check for torn boots and make sure the lid to the air box, etc are all properly sealed as others have suggested. It's certainly possible you've created an air leak when messing with the filter.

·
Registered
10,578 Posts
I had just finished cleaning my air filter, clipped everything back into place, and plugged the sensor back in and now my engine light is on. I had cleaned both the intake filter and the interior filter near the windshield. Any Ideas on what happened?
You cannot reset the Check Engine Light by unplugging the battery. If the light is inclined to go off that way, it will go off by itself after deciding that whatever made it come on has been corrected. Some malfunctions will be checked by the system, and if they are corrected the light will go off eventually. It should take a couple of drive cycles, but the light should go off. Disconnecting the battery on an OBD II vehicle does not reset the computer. It is actually part of the specification that the computer not be reset this way.

So, the light is on, what is the code?

You said you cleaned the air filter, why would you do that? The filter is paper, and you replace it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
This reminds me of the beginning of every troubleshooting step I take... The first question I ask is... where were the humans last? haha.

I have to ask what everyone else asked... Why did you clean it and not just replace it?

OH... be very careful with the MAF... from everything I have read they are very delicate. Easy does it...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
This reminds me of the beginning of every troubleshooting step I take... The first question I ask is... where were the humans last? haha.

I have to ask what everyone else asked... Why did you clean it and not just replace it?

OH... be very careful with the MAF... from everything I have read they are very delicate. Easy does it...
LOL, we'll in simple terms ima idiot.:facepalm: Im gona just get an aftermarket intake or replace it...thanks for the help
You cannot reset the Check Engine Light by unplugging the battery. If the light is inclined to go off that way, it will go off by itself after deciding that whatever made it come on has been corrected. Some malfunctions will be checked by the system, and if they are corrected the light will go off eventually. It should take a couple of drive cycles, but the light should go off. Disconnecting the battery on an OBD II vehicle does not reset the computer. It is actually part of the specification that the computer not be reset this way.

So, the light is on, what is the code?

You said you cleaned the air filter, why would you do that? The filter is paper, and you replace it.
I did it out of simple idiocy LOL, don't have a code reader, wating for a bud to come by with one. Thanks for the help

You can't clean the stock paper filter. They are meant to be thrown away and replaced with a new filter. Replace your filter with a brand new paper filter. Then, carefully use some CRC MAF cleaner to clean your MAF sensor - be careful not to touch the sensor element directly.

Also, check for torn boots and make sure the lid to the air box, etc are all properly sealed as others have suggested. It's certainly possible you've created an air leak when messing with the filter.
I'll get the cleaner, and check again, and IF i touch the sensor would it screw it up? Thanks for the help

Oops

Well another reason why OILED filters suck ass. :thumbsup:

:rofl:
:thumbsup:
thats what it looks like :)
yup :)
But, if I understand him correctly, the filter wasn't K&N... it was a stock BMW paper filter. :facepalm:
yeah i fvcked up :facepalm:
Another reason NOT to get a KRAP and NASTY filter
I've learned now...thanks for the help:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Replace your filter with a brand new paper filter. Then, carefully use some CRC MAF cleaner to clean your MAF sensor - be careful not to touch the sensor element directly.
This man speaks truth.

OP, you have gotta clean your MAF. Since you live in Ontario you will have hard time finding CRC MAF cleaner. No crappytire to walmart no nothing carry it, I checked, twice.

Try any local performance shop, depending on where you live of course. If in teh GTA, try RMPMotors.com .

CRC MAF cleaner is teh only one that you should spray your MAF with. Dont touch it, take it out of the car and start spaying keeping the straw a few inches from the mesh. Do it 10-14 times, basically use the whole can. Let it dry before each time.

I'm from Ontario as well if you didnt notice.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts