E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My air con has been acting up a bit recently. When I start the car up after it has been sitting for at least an hour or so, the air conditioner comes on nice and frosty. After driving for a bit, however, the air looses most of its cool. It doesn’t become hot, just much less cool.

Please note that I am not at all a car expert, though I am enjoying learning more and more with the help of these boards. Any constructive suggestions you can provide are much appreciated.

Symptoms I’ve noticed:

• The problem occurs both in the city and on the highway, usually after I’ve already driven several miles.
  • Turning the engine off and letting the car sit for a while seems to be the most consistent way to get the problem to stop. Sometimes, however, after driving miles and miles with lukewarm air coming out of the vents, the problem vanishes and the air is, once again, nice and cool.
  • Of the four passenger air vents on the dash, the air coming out of the central-left one (i.e., above the console, on the driver’s side) is consistently warmer than the air coming out of the other three vents, but only when the problem is occurring.
  • After driving in the heat for several miles, my car drips a watery substance. I don’t have the expertise to know whether the car is leaking something, or if it’s just condensation running off (I live in a relatively humid climate).
  • On one recent occasion, I turned the car on and the air conditioner seemed to have trouble spinning up. I could hear the fan pulsating, as if it was struggling to gain momentum. After a few seconds, it steadied out and bathed the interior with nice, chilly, Bavarian air.

· Registered
1,196 Posts
probably need to refill a/c or your final stage resistor could be on the way out, maybe even your compressor.

make sure the knob on central console is on highest setting (blue), water leaking is normal, that's just condensation

· Registered
342 Posts
r134a to be exact, but yea you need proper tools to troubleshoot this, like gauges, thermometers, vacuum pump etc...just have it checked out and report back with that they said. Usually a refill will fix it, but A/C is a closed system if you need a refill you have a leak which means you need to get it fixed...DO NOT put any of that leak seal stuff in there, just get it properly fixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.