BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought I could be content to leave my ZHP alone but I think there's going to have to be some things done here. :dunno: Now nothing TOO major.

The understeer is killing me. I'm coming from a 33" tired Tahoe that I could step out the back end on without trying. Now I want to dial out the understeer.

Swaybars? Which one's work? I've seen the UUC ones and the Eibach ones.

Strut Bars? Which ones are worth the cash? I don't care what it looks like as much as i car if it works or not. The local DTM guy didn't speak too highly of the Dinan ones.

H&R springs? I think I'm going to go with RACE springs.

Shocks? I have no clue what to go with here. Give me some suggestions.

Also whats the word on the Gruppe M intake? Would I notice a difference?

I've read about some software just available for the 330i but not yet for the ZHP that gave someone a real world 20 hp boost? I can't remember the brand, anyone?

Oh and if you could post the best place to find these things that would be awesome. :thumbup:

Thanks for lookin.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I just got the GruppeM installed on my ZHP saturday morning and I love it.

The sound alone is worth the price, it looks great under the hood and I can definately feel the difference.

Lets see if I can beat xS3x to the contact Renn-sport.net plug ;)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Swaybars- Most people get the UUC sways, because they're easily adjustable and work really well. The RD sways are also high quality. H&R just came out with a sway bar kit, but I have yet to hear from anyone who has it.

Strut Bars- Strutbars are more of a cosmetic modification than a big improvement mod. I've heard that the rear strut bar makes a bigger improvement than the front one, actually (although that's never been confirmed). Ideally, you want a strut bar that isn't hinged, just an unflexing piece of metal.

If you're going to replace your springs, you really should replace your shocks too. The H&R cupkit is a great package (available between 500-600 bucks) that includes a matched pair of springs and shocks. It's a lower drop than the Race Springs, and handles amazingly. It's the next best thing to coilovers, which is probably overkill for you.

The GruppeM gives a good power gain and a great sound. Combined with the Tecknik software available from RennSport, people have gotten 20hp gains, I believe.

I've read about some software just available for the 330i but not yet for the ZHP that gave someone a real world 20 hp boost? I can't remember the brand, anyone?

For all of these things, most people will recommend RennSport. Personally, I recommend Eurospeed Performance, since Alex there is an amazing god of BMWs.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I think coil overs is too much. I autoX but I'm not serious enough at this poitn to go that far. To say nothing of warranty issues etc.

·
Registered
780 Posts
getting rid of the staggered wheel setup will lessen the understeer and make the car more neutral.

Also, i think the cupkit is a great upgrade.

·
I know all about that...
2,192 Posts
Allow me to step in, as I am the cause of this...

:D

Sway Bars-As sfz says UUC are most common, there isn't one that really stands out performance wise but UUC is the most popular among the fanatics. H&R makes good products but no feedback so far. I doubt it will be anything less than the rest out there.

Strut Bars-Like I said earlier, they are just eye candy(for the most part). Some will dispute this but fact is no proof has shown me other wise. So go with one that looks the best and fits your budget. I have Dinan(as you know), Gruppe M is going to release one soon and I assume it will be great. Also Benfer has been working on a solid CF bar which is supposed to be amazing. Also UUC is working on one as well which is promising. Budget wise the OEM M3 strut bar(it fits our cars) is the best bet.

Gruppe M-I'll show you on friday Biatch!

Springs-I have H&R race 29484(which is the normal race spring for our cars) up front and H&R race from an e36 m3 in the rear(to give lower drop). This is called the "Jawknee" Setup as Jawknee was the first do it.

Shocks-It really depends on what your looking for. Your choices are mainly Koni adjustable and Bilstein. I have Koni Adjustables because its what H&R uses on their coilover and I also have the adjustability to play with to get the understeer just right(which is what you are looking for).

Speaking for the H&R cupkit. I am not a big fan IMO. Its not enough drop for me, as I've installed one on a car myself. But it is a good value for both springs/struts.

I haven't heard of the software yet but I'm sure Renn-sport can find you something.

Renn-Sport has most of it (except for OEM, UUC and Benfer products) and they can work on the prices with you if you find somewhere who has better prices. Just look around, check out the site sponsors and see who's got what. I'll show you everything in person once I get my car back up here.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah it is partly your fault :flipoff: !! :D But its been brewing for a while.

So you think the cupkit isn't enough drop? Sheesh I was thinking it would be too much.

But the cupkit shocks aren't adjustable huh? Damnation. I'll talk to you about it on Friday, I'm sure.

ECIS intake?

·
I know all about that...
2,192 Posts
If you don't already have an intake I suggest buying the best(Gruppe M). I'd also recommend Benfer but I know you were worried about water in the intake etc. I'll give you my full review of the Gruppe M vs. ECIS this weekend. Also search for pics of the cupkit drop, and you'll see what I'm talking about. Here's pics of my drop...

http://photos.e46fanatics.com/showgallery.php?ppuser=3260&cat=500&thumb=1

·
Registered
265 Posts
ECIS intake is a great product. I have one now and also had one on my e36m3. The guys that run that company are also top notch.
H and R sport springs are great for me so far, check my car for the drop. Also, you don't need shocks really with these springs. I dunno, the drop is good for me with my 19s, not tucked but looks good :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
I noticed a bit of difference with mine on. I put it on for more peace of mind then anything else. I really like the look and design of the StrongStrut I put on.. www.strongstrut.com.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,960 Posts
i like my h + r coilovers

but if you are money mined. look to see what group buy is going on and get into the good deal.
bobm3 ;) ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts