E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a little issue here. My car is stick and it's having some troubles. I've never ground a gear or missed a shift and my car currently has 10k miles on it.

A week or so ago I started up the car and threw it in reverse with the clutch all the way to the floor and it made a grinding noise. I was like what the hell! So I put it in 1st and then back to reverse and it was fine. From then on I made sure that the pedal is 100% to the floor and it has still done it once more. I've also had it happen a few times going into 2nd. The other gears are all fine and it only seems to happen when I first start it up. Any ideas? Could there be something wrong with the syncros?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I was thinking something to do with the cold but what is it actually doing to my car? I want to make sure it's not actually shaving off gears down there.

Those of you who aren't in the midwest this winter be happy, it's hella-cold.

·
Registered
215 Posts
come move to Hawaii, for sure you won't have to worry about the cold and grinding gears!! :)

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be there if you have somewhere for me to stay and a job for me :D Maybe I could sell shells on the beach

·
Registered
207 Posts
It a factor of the cold and the joints (which are metal) being cold. They stick when the temp drops and thus requiring u to get it into gear exactly. When it is warmer the gears and synchros have some give but they get sticky and brittle in the cold. Best thing to do is to let the car warm up, oput the clutch in and go thru the gears while stopped a few times with the clutch depressed. This will losen the bearings up. :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Try changing your tranny fluid and put in some Redline D4. When it's cold, your tranny fluid gets pretty thin which keeps the synchros from providing enough friction. Redline has pretty good cold thermal characteristics.

·
needs a new sig...
3,408 Posts
topazmania said:
Try changing your tranny fluid and put in some Redline D4. When it's cold, your tranny fluid gets pretty thin which keeps the synchros from providing enough friction. Redline has pretty good cold thermal characteristics.
:werd:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Happend to me twice in the 8k miles I have on the car I wouldn't worry.. If it's cold just throw it into a forward gear then into reverse... hasn't happened since I've started 'synching' before I place it into reverse. btw they are correct is it the cold that causes it..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts