BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What a day that was. Driving to work on the freeway i get this damn rivet in my tire, the shop couldn't fix it so i had to get a new tire. There goes $198. So while i put the spare wheel on the car the bolt breaks, GREAT. How do you guys remove a bolt half broken in the rotor. Thanks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's not a bolt, that's an rivet. The part sticking in your tire is just like a nail. It's not broken. You say in your post, "broken in the rotor". I assume that's a typo and you mean tire. Just pull it out with some pliers. It's in the tread of the tire, some shops would have just plugged it. I think they may have just wanted to sell you a tire. I would have just plugged it. I'm sure others will disagree.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, my bad, a rivet. The rivet was all the way in the tire and had torn the tire all the way down, i pulled it out. Now when i say broken bolt, i mean the wheel bolts that tightens the wheel to the hub. One of the bolts broke while i was tightening the spare onto the hub, so now i have 4 wheel bolts instead of 5. I need to extract the broken bolt that is in the hub/rotor. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
.............. I would have just plugged it. I'm sure others will disagree.

Actually, I agree. Certainly I'm not saying that it would've worked in your situation, but I would have tried. Bigger hole (no jokes please) more plugs, I have saved countless tires by plugging them. Michelin Tire Co. recommends plugs over patching & they say you can plug a Michelin tire anywhere (sidewall to sidewall). I keep multiple versions of the kit below, really cheap, never goes bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-Tire-Plug-Kit/dp/B000ET525K

Next time.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ya i made them plug it but they said the hole is too wide. Also the tire had pretty bad negative wear, the inner portion of the tire was just about to the steel wires. The tire is gone and a new one took its place, but now my issue is the bolt that's in the hub and i need to take it out. I know i can purchase a bolt/screw extractor but i would rather try something else so i don't have to spend money.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I know you don't want to spend more money but I honestly think the only way to get that bolt out safely is to spend money and get a bolt extractor.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Is the bolt broke off basically flush to the rotor? Or is some of it sticking out.... a pic would be great. BTW it that bolt broke that easy then it had to have a stress fracture and was bound to break soon. So maybe this is a life saver instead of a hassel. Who knows....CHECK YOUR OTHER BOLTS FOR CRACKS.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the bolt broke off basically flush to the rotor? Or is some of it sticking out.... a pic would be great. BTW it that bolt broke that easy then it had to have a stress fracture and was bound to break soon. So maybe this is a life saver instead of a hassel. Who knows....CHECK YOUR OTHER BOLTS FOR CRACKS.

Maybe, it thinks its flush to the rotor, im going to try the EZ out drill bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts