BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need a general opinion on the quality of an aftermarket cd player when compared with the original stock bmw one (not HK). this aftermarket cd player would be an Alpine unit around $350.. i have the following options:

1. getting my stock CD player repaired for $300

2. purchasing a new stock CD player for $800+

3. buying aftermarket unit

input would be appreciated - thanx

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it should be covered by warranty - but the reason for its damage voided the warranty :sad:

·
I've got what plants crave.
1,434 Posts
S-3 SL said:
it should be covered by warranty - but the reason for its damage voided the warranty :sad:
I have to say I'm curious:confused:

·
Network Analyst
3,469 Posts
S-3 SL said:
What did you do to it?

I would buy a new aftermarket head unit if I were you. In fact, I'm going to go pick up my car today from Tweeter. They installed an Alpine CDA-7894 last night.

dave

·
Alpha Male
6,560 Posts
S-3 SL said:
In that case I'd say that you'd have to look at what your goals are.

Are you happy with the HK system?

Do you plan on building a nice ICE system in the future?

If you don't plan upgrading your system then I'd say get another OEM headunit. Look in the classifieds.

·
Banned
2,186 Posts
You can find an OEM for 200-300 if you look in the all the forum classifieds especially Bimmer.org's and Ebay... but I would rather go with aftermarket.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
appreciate all the suggestions ...

i don't plan on setting up an I.C.E. (yet).. but things can change ..

by the way, the current unit in the car is not HK, it's a busted stock cd player

what i don't understand is if aftermarket players are better, than why can i pick up an ALPINE unit w/ CD player and MP3 playback with XM capabilities for around $350, yet im being charged $800+ for a new, standard bmw cd player (not even Harmon Kardon)?!

·
blackonblack
269 Posts
because bmw likes to rip people off...

People like the consistency of the oem head unit. It looks nice in their car...and since you can't get them anywhere (new) except from BMW, they might as well force you to pay a pretty penny.

Remember...the average bmw owner isn't exactly in the poor house.

sig.

·
Registered
369 Posts
S-3 SL said:
appreciate all the suggestions ...

i don't plan on setting up an I.C.E. (yet).. but things can change ..

by the way, the current unit in the car is not HK, it's a busted stock cd player

what i don't understand is if aftermarket players are better, than why can i pick up an ALPINE unit w/ CD player and MP3 playback with XM capabilities for around $350, yet im being charged $800+ for a new, standard bmw cd player (not even Harmon Kardon)?!

this alpine unit, is it an in-dash thing?

is there any alpine mp3/cd changer? that is trunk-mounted? taht would be tight..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts