E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Here with a modding question, the M3 steering wheel swap/paddle shift retrofit is quite a common and awesome mod for the E46 non M cars. Easy done too.

However, I was wondering if its possible to get the steptronic to work with a universal paddle shifter attached to an aftermarket steering wheel.

I was thinking of using the MME Motorsport shifters (Universal Steering Wheel Paddles) with a Sparco P310 (P310 | Sparco Official Online Store). Is it possible to wire the Steptronic to work with those paddles?

I am aware the shifting is done by a switch which is activated by the shifting lever. Can this be done by the aftermarket paddle shifters?

Things you can ignore while answering:
1. The steering wheel functions lost
2. loss of airbag

Thanks guys for your time and looking forward to your replies!

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
4,338 Posts
Just needs a ground signal to upshift and downshift. Both wires are right on the existing shift lever. So common ground to one side your your paddles and the other ends of each paddle to the shift lever up/down wires. You will need to get the heated steering wheel/paddle shift clockspring so you have the wires inside the wheel and not hanging with a curly cord.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
530 Posts
I was thinking of doing this mod, as well. That's part of the reason I got a car with an auto box.

That said, if the OEM steering wheel has a bunch of buttons on it, maybe some of those wires can be repurposed for the paddle switches? Yeah, you'll lose those functions. But the aftermarket steering wheel probably doesn't have those buttons anyway.

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
4,338 Posts
I was thinking of doing this mod, as well. That's part of the reason I got a car with an auto box.

That said, if the OEM steering wheel has a bunch of buttons on it, maybe some of those wires can be repurposed for the paddle switches? Yeah, you'll lose those functions. But the aftermarket steering wheel probably doesn't have those buttons anyway.
Yeah, that's not going to happen unless you know how to hack the iBus and have a circuit to receive and transmit the messages to an analog signal. Much cheaper and easier to just go buy the clockspring.

New updated e46 clock spring part number: 61318379091
2 pin connector part number: 61136925634
2 pins part number: 61130005197

1 - 4 of 4 Posts