E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, first off let me start off by saying that i am brand new to BMWs and this is my first post on here. Been in the honda game for a while but now its time to get my grown man on.

so my issue is that i have an 04 BMW 325i, and i bought an aftermarket single din alpine head unit with ipod integration. now ive always installed my own radios in my cars but with these amplified systems im not sure what needs to be done.

One Best buy told me that it requires an amp bypass and they want to charge $175 for the labor as opposed to the reg $50 install. and a second bust buy said that it looks like the adapter harness should just be plug and play and wouldnt require the bypass.

How do I know if i have the HK amplified sound system? I have the business cd but i didnt notice an amp or anything in the trunk( didnt pull the panels of though)

So basically if its plug and play then i will install it myself and if its not i will consider getting it professionally done but would rather not spend that much for something i can do myself. Ive been watching this forum for a week or two seeing if anything like this has been posted yet but did see anything.

So does anyone have a Do It Yourself for the amp bypass instructions, ive had the radio for a couple weeks and im ready to get it in.

I know its alot if questions but im eager to learn about my new car... please help! Thanks

·
Registered
607 Posts
Either way you don't need a bypass, you just need the BMW harness and a Euro Antenna adapter. You can't really bypass the amp, the signal is sent to the HK amplifier and then the amp sends the speaker wire to the corresponding speakers. It'll be a $20 harness and $15 antenna adapter at Best Buy.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... i was wondering if the adapter harness would work or if there was more to it. I wasnt sure if best buy was trying to get over on me or not. So how can you tell if you have the HK system or not?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts