BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
+1 for research.
I find that lot of users are quick to say OEM or nothing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Camshaft Position Sensors - I see BMW on Bavauto for $112.00 and Meyle and "OEM" are $35.00. I have bought Meyle suspension parts before and they were quality; I am not thinking paying 3x for BMW versus Meyle for CPS on a 15-year-old car. Thoughts?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Camshaft Position Sensors - I see BMW on Bavauto for $112.00 and Meyle and "OEM" are $35.00. I have bought Meyle suspension parts before and they were quality; I am not thinking paying 3x for BMW versus Meyle for CPS on a 15-year-old car. Thoughts?
I would try it for 1/3 the price, especially since it is a recognized name brand. I don't recall seeing any posts on here stating any problems with them. If it doesn't work, you're out $35.00.

Personally, the only genuine BMW part I had installed was an expansion tank. I look on Pelican Parts for their OEM manufacturer and usually buy those parts (on there, eBay, Amazon or wherever I can get the best price) instead of BMW's. On the advice of a mechanic friend, I bought Dayco pulleys and tensioners from Advance, and they had INA (OEM) stamped on them.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I've found OEM to be the best option for most things. There are only a few high-quality aftermarket parts out there that I have found to be acceptable. They're niche, but they exist. Usually they're made by companies who specifically tune German cars. BMW, in general, gets quality parts from good manufacturers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ha... and while we're on Behr and their German made parts...

I was reading this thread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=16529012&postcount=3

Which has a link to the genuine BMW expansion tank:

http://www.amazon.com/COOLANT-EXPANSION-Series-00-06-17117573781/dp/B00E3C79LE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1BFEAK49QZ4S652JSA0F

Look closely at the zoomed in picture of the label on the expansion tank... says Behr, made in China!

If buying a Behr expansion tank from Behr/Hella then it is made it China. Behr does make the original BMW tank and as far as I'm aware the tank made for BMW is made in Germany. Just something to keep in mind if deciding to go Behr or OE.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,596 Posts
Exhaust: 12147518628
Intake: 12147539165

This is one of those parts that most people insist on OE. Some will settle for OEM, but results are mixed.

There are a boatload of cheap Chinese crap ones on ebay, some cheaper aftermarket ones like MTC, Vemo, Meyle, Hella, the OEM ones like AB Elektronic, and then OE Genuine BMW. There may be others that are OEM, but most sites don't list the manufacturer (Bosch?).

I tried two of the cheaper ones (MTC, Meyle) for kicks and they both failed within one year.

Go with OEM at the very least. Use FuriousMethod.com to compare different vendors' prices.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If buying a Behr expansion tank from Behr/Hella then it is made it China. Behr does make the original BMW tank and as far as I'm aware the tank made for BMW is made in Germany. Just something to keep in mind if deciding to go Behr or OE.
Kinda sucks that Behr has outsourced some of their manufacturing. Hey, at least you know whether it's made in China or not--they are really good at selling themselves as nothing gets out of that country without a little Made in China sticker on it.

I still find that this is a brand by brand thing with most products. Either it's made in the "official" Chinese factory or it's made in the knockoff Chinese factory, haha.

·
Registered
849 Posts
People always assume OEM stuff is garbage because sometimes parts may brake shortly after buying their car. That being said, what people fail to realize is these cars are OLD. These parts have been on for 15 years and are finally breaking. Replace with OEM and you might get another 15 years out of it, sounds good to me. (Oh and I'm not talking about bushings and suspension)

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,596 Posts
People always assume OEM stuff is garbage
I don't inow of many people on here who think OEM parts are garbage. Most people recommend OE first, then OEM, for quality and reliability reasons.

The tricky part, and SilberVogel can attest to this, is that some OEM parts ARE an OE part without the BMW logo on it, while on the other extreme some OEM parts vendors have their parts made in China or have lowered the quality. So you really should choose on a part-by-part basis. Search this site for the recommended brand for each part before ordering.

·
Registered
266 Posts
People always assume OEM stuff is garbage because sometimes parts may brake shortly after buying their car. That being said, what people fail to realize is these cars are OLD. These parts have been on for 15 years and are finally breaking. Replace with OEM and you might get another 15 years out of it, sounds good to me. (Oh and I'm not talking about bushings and suspension)
Pretty much this is why I recommend OEM/OE parts. Shop smart and you can find the OE parts for much cheaper then at the dealership, knowing their still quality parts. :thumbsup:

Buy cheap, buy twice.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,473 Posts
These parts have been on for 15 years and are finally breaking. Replace with OEM and you might get another 15 years out of it, sounds good to me.
sneaky Germans putting 15 year old parts on 9-14 year old cars. :p

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've never bought an OEM brake rotor in my life. at the same time, I've never bought an aftermarket mass air flow sensor. you just kind of get a "feel" for what you can save on, and what you can't. everyone has a different opinion - from Mango to Ghetto, most of us fall somewhere in-between. research goes a long way.

my latest and most major non-oem purchase for the E46 was a vaico disa. initial quality, fitment, and performance is excellent. can't comment on durability yet.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So what OE parts have you guys used on your cars? Did they fail 2 weeks later or still going strong?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have gone with a after market expansion tank from pepboys. Terriable idea that ended up costing me exactly $2008.30 because the tank was not holding pressure after a month.Never again will i go after market.
Daaaaamn! That really sucks... I saw one on ebay and i thought about it but im defs not doing it now... thanks for sharing lol

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,531 Posts
As bad as some of the original parts are, they are almost always better quality than aftermarket parts, especially the cheap Chinese crap. The minor savings in dollars is rarely worth the inferior quality and risk of failure. I speak from experience here. I had to replace an engine because of a failed aftermarket coolant expansion tank burst and overheated the engine warping the head. I don't know of many aftermarket parts that are better than geniune on an E46, though there probably are a few.
I'm in complete agreement with BD.
There's also all to often bait and switch of xxx part being OEM. Behr heating and cooling parts are the best and worst example.

There's VC gaskets, OEM? Well yes and no.
Corteco and Elring do make gaskets for BMW, however the VC gaskets are made by Bruss or Mahle. (Not Meyle) for the E46.

Another issue, don't start comparing Japanese parts to European. My 08 Tundra with 180K does not leak a drop of anything. My case is all to normal and not an exception.

N54/55 oil filter housing gaskets have gone through 3 revisions, with all leaking. The latest do not, why? Because they're make in Japan.

PM me and give me your phone number, we can talk about it ad-infinatum.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,473 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Yeah, I was reading along to see why.

Since it WAS bumped, I'll add that one of the really unfortunate parts of this is that
things almost never get better, only worse. I bought a Behr t- stat for the wagon 6 years ago
(same time as this thread, about) and it was the same as what was on the car, except that
the BMW logo was milled off.

I bought another last spring for the coupe and it was made in China in the not- so- sexy way
in which it looked a lot less substantial than the Behr one that's on the car now.

I'm still running around with a shorted heater because I'm so despondent about it...

There are things that are made well in China.
Non- OE car parts don't seem to be one of them, yet, in most cases.
Plus, living conditions and the Chinese environment are still... troubling.

t

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah ive never had a car where there is a whole community that comes with it that give good advice, even tho its been 5 years later. i used to use alot off these click bait as someone mentioned mods like cold air etc but im definitely gonna refrain from those now on especially on this car, i definitely would like to thank everyone for sharing their opinions because they definitely helped before i bought a bmw and it will help keep this thing in good condition! looking forward to catching up to more recent threads!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts