BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. As the title says, i want to install a multimedia device in my car, but i can t decide whether it will be a tablet or an aftermarket navigation. Basically, i want a good clear sound, i want to be able to control the volume with the steering wheel buttons, a parking camera, obd, and probably a subwoofer. What would you guys recommend? Thank you!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hi. As the title says, i want to install a multimedia device in my car, but i can t decide whether it will be a tablet or an aftermarket navigation. Basically, i want a good clear sound, i want to be able to control the volume with the steering wheel buttons, a parking camera, obd, and probably a subwoofer. What would you guys recommend? Thank you!
Why a tablet? From my POV, it would get outdated quite fast, even if you use an iOS device (relative to the lifespan of the car, that is). Why not an OEM MK4 nav or Dynavin?

I went the MK4 nav route. Nice sound quality, all factory, and expanded OBC.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Mk4 seems very outdated. I'd rather go get an android Eonon,enjoy the benefit of having an oem look with Google maps, data logging and Spotify. It's essentially the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Mk4 seems very outdated. I'd rather go get an android Eonon,enjoy the benefit of having an oem look with Google maps, data logging and Spotify. It's essentially the best of both worlds.
Yeah, in retrospect, I should've done that. The MK4 is still very accurate and efficient, though, and the maps are current (2015). Not to mention, the OP may be like me and have a significant aversion to Android...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think mk4 is outdated and pretty hard to install, all that cables and etc. I m thinking about an Eonon, Pumpkin, but i don t know why, the tablet seems a little better.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yeah, in retrospect, I should've done that. The MK4 is still very accurate and efficient, though, and the maps are current (2015). Not to mention, the OP may be like me and have a significant aversion to Android...
Oh nice, they still make map updates?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Go with an android aftermarket replica of the BMW E46 Navigation screen, there are many choices and some of them are very affordable. A tablet screen is very hacky, all held together in a spit and bubblegum sort of way. It is not something that belongs in a BMW. I was considering tablets before I got my replica nav screen and finally came to my senses and got the nav screen. It's plug and play, has beautiful fit and finish, it look like it belongs there and it just works.

I went with the Eonon GA5150F, it was $370 six months ago when I got it but is now $350 and I can't recommend it enough. There is also a very active custom firmware and hacking community for it, if you are in to that.

https://www.eonon.com/Android-Car-GPS/Vehicle-Specific-GPS/GA5150F.html

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
My 2001 330Ci has a DICE interface for my iPhone 6. I use google maps exclusively. They are always up to date. The voice directions play over the audio system. I've used google maps all over Europe. Never been lead astray.

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
4,946 Posts
If you want good sound, you have one real choice: Dynavin N6.

I immediately noticed a big improvement in sound vs my factory Business CD (I'd imagine the factory nav unit's sounds is just as so-so as the Business CD).

If you want tablet-like apps and such, either a tablet or a Avin or Eonon is your best choice.

In all cases, do your homework and read the threads on these various HUs. That made it easy for me to decide.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts