E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
My e46 has basic stereo system ( no HK, Hi-Fi or integrated amplifier). So i decided upgrade it to aftermarket system.

HU: Pioneer MVH-S120UB (50w x 4) 1 rca output for rear/subwoofer.
Front speakers: Alpine SXE - 1750S (45w rms - 280w peak)
Rear speakers: Alpine SXE - 1725S (40w rms - 220w peak)
Subwoofer: 300w rms.
Amplifier: 500w rms.

So i connected my HU to amp(RCA and controll cable) and then to subwoofer - It works correctly
Then upgraded speakers and it seems to play on low volume. I need to turn the sound on 30 to hear it normaly. With stock speakers and HU it looks that all plays louder.
When i play with HU settings it seems to be better but in all flat its quieter.

By the Pioneer's head unit aplifier that has 50w x 4 it should be enought to power my speakers?

Do i need one more amplifier for all speakers? If yes how to connect all with single RCA output?

Any help will be very appreciated. :)

· Registered
129 Posts
If you hook your alpine speaker to the stock wires where the oem speaker sat. The cause is maybe the stock amp and the ohm is not correct. Example if your stock oem requires 2ohm load and your alpine is 4 ohm it won’t sound right and your speaker will blow up. Locate where the stock amp is and bypass the that speaker to aftermarket HU.
Also get a volt meter can test the ohm on the oem speaker see what it read if it read 4 ohm you should be ok. And if that the case you need to locate the oem amp and bypass it

· Registered
2018 M240i
12,591 Posts
Different speakers have different levels of efficiency. That is, different speakers will produce different volume levels even though each speaker gets the same input power and signal. Look at the specs for each speaker and check the sound pressure level or SPL. Basically, there is a standard procedure to test a speakers efficiency that speaker manufacturers use. The higher the SPL the more efficient the speaker.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.