BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about one year of ownership my clutch is finally getting ready to go. I called the original owner, and he said the clutch was original, so I think I did pretty well with it making it to 150,000 miles. Since I'm getting it replaced, does anyone have any aftermarket recommendations that would make the car shift better, or should I just go with OEM? As always thanks for the replies fellas :)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
After about one year of ownership my clutch is finally getting ready to go. I called the original owner, and he said the clutch was original, so I think I did pretty well with it making it to 150,000 miles. Since I'm getting it replaced, does anyone have any aftermarket recommendations that would make the car shift better, or should I just go with OEM? As always thanks for the replies fellas :)
I'd go Sachs OE.

Out of curiosity, is it recommend to replace the fly wheel as well?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
523 Posts
You can look for single mass flywheels if you like, there is a kit from valeo with the clutch and the flywheel on stock weight. Or you can get a lightened one. But it's not everyones taste

Plenty of reviews both for the valeo and for other aftermarket lightweight ones, so do a good search.

For the actual clutch plate , they are pretty fine, last for pretty long as you witnessed and if you aren't planning to get more power they are fine. Sachs makes a performance clutch plate that holds more power and it's a quality option but probably pretty unnecessary

And to add, if you need a clutch the dual mass flywheel is probably shot with play, so you have to replace it either way. Dmf or smf everything has its ups and downs

To improve the actual shift feel refresh the shifter mechanism. Dowel pins, the spongy thing that goes to the selector shaft, the plastic bearing that holds the shifter
Cheers

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
You can look for single mass flywheels if you like, there is a kit from valeo with the clutch and the flywheel on stock weight. Or you can get a lightened one. But it's not everyones taste

Plenty of reviews both for the valeo and for other aftermarket lightweight ones, so do a good search.

For the actual clutch plate , they are pretty fine, last for pretty long as you witnessed and if you aren't planning to get more power they are fine. Sachs makes a performance clutch plate that holds more power and it's a quality option but probably pretty unnecessary

And to add, if you need a clutch the dual mass flywheel is probably shot with play, so you have to replace it either way. Dmf or smf everything has its ups and downs

To improve the actual shift feel refresh the shifter mechanism. Dowel pins, the spongy thing that goes to the selector shaft, the plastic bearing that holds the shifter
Cheers
So it's not recommend to reuse the old dmf if you plan on sticking with dmf?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
523 Posts
Well there is a procedure on this, if play is more than 5 teeth I think, it's toast. Personaly I would think a solid flywheel with the same weight is a good, oem let's say, solution

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
The OE on most is Valeo, not Schmacks. The last few Schmacks parts I have purchased for the E46 had the German price tag on the Chinese parts.

I opted for Hungarian (Valeo) for significantly fewer Schmackers. And the parts I installed matched whatwas in the car new, down to the rivets, welding and internal part numbers.

t
has been bitten by Country of Origin often enough that he has prejudices.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts