E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The passenger window regulator is busted so I took everything apart and removed the window regulator. I did disconnect the negative terminal before removing the side air bag. I tried to start the car, but it won't start, but it does have electricity. So I tried connecting the airbag again while disconnecting the negative terminal and the car started, but will not start again afterwards...

What is the problem? Blew the terminal?

Thanks

· Registered
2,752 Posts
I'll take a crack at this...

You may have accidentally "crimped"/pinched a wire or wire harness (or a wire was frayed some how causing a short) in the door connecting the airbag when you re-installed the regulator.

Just a side note: Does your door speaker work?

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll take a crack at this...

You may have accidentally "crimped"/pinched a wire or wire harness (or a wire was frayed some how causing a short) in the door connecting the airbag when you re-installed the regulator.

Just a side note: Does your door speaker work?
I haven't put a new regulator back because I don't have the part yet. However it was a big pain to take the regulator out which may have did something to the wires... How would I check for a short? I think the reason for the car not to start is that the airbag connection is bad or something blew because I tried to start the car before reattaching the airbag.

Any help is good at this point. No car if I don't figure this out! lol

· Registered
121 Posts
Did you play with the power controls (window) while you were working on the door? When I did mine, I played with the power windows a little too much without starting the engine and didn't have enough juice to start the car, even though there were signs of power. Do you notice the lights being any dimmer?

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you play with the power controls (window) while you were working on the door? When I did mine, I played with the power windows a little too much without starting the engine and didn't have enough juice to start the car, even though there were signs of power. Do you notice the lights being any dimmer?
The lights are very weak in the beginning, but slowly to grow stronger. although I don't think is the battery because I had started the car once, but not again after turn it off

· Registered
733 Posts
haha who designs a car which lets something in the passenger side door affect the engine? XP

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So after you're saying after you put your door and battery back together you started the car once and turned it off immediately?
I just turn it on to test if it works still, so I turn it off right after. Now it doesn't turn on no matter what I do... it make me think I might've drained the battery like earlier posted, but strangely I still get power....

I'm going to buy the regulator and put everything back the way it was and try to jump start the car using another battery.

· Registered
121 Posts
I just turn it on to test if it works still, so I turn it off right after. Now it doesn't turn on no matter what I do... it make me think I might've drained the battery like earlier posted, but strangely I still get power....

I'm going to buy the regulator and put everything back the way it was and try to jump start the car using another battery.
There is a good chance the battery is too low to start the car. Happened to me but not saying its the same case here. You can try pulling a battery out of another car and see if it starts.

· Registered
2,752 Posts
At this point you need to pull your battery and have it tested.. to see if it's still good - It needs to hold at least 14.1 volts.

There's a hidden function in the OBC cluster that you can use to check voltage, however, since you can't start your vehicle it may not be able to give a solid reading.

NOTE: If the current battery is the Original that came in your '00 323... (or more than 5 years old.) odds are it's likely given up the ghost already & you'll Need to have it replaced anyways. Instead of wasting time trying to "kickstart a dead horse". Just saying.

· Premium Member
29,632 Posts
I think you just let your battery drain somehow and this likely has nothing to do with your regulator. The mere fact that you called the removal of the regulator a huge pain in the @$$ leads me to believe you aren't that comfortable with working on cars. The regulator has to be one of the most straightforward DIY repairs out there. Test your battery and go from there

· Registered
438 Posts
While you were working on the regulator, you probably had the doors and trunk open and maybe some music playing from the radio? With an older battery, this might just be enough of a drain to your battery that it doesn't have enough power to start the car. I installed P46s on my car and after an hour of running off the battery for the radio and testing the lights, I found my battery had enough charge to power the electronics, but not start the car.

Try jump/bump starting it. I replaced my battery a few months ago. If you're on your original battery, it may be time to look for a replacement. I recommend Autozone for the 49D. Works perrrfect.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.