E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they OK compared to the OEM ones? Thinking about buying an aftermarket automatic trans filter kit to save some money. But if that is going to be bad for my car in the long run, I will buy the OEM.

Also, what about the fuel filters? Are there significant disadvantage/side effects of using the after market ones?

I would like to hear from those who are using the after market parts :)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
the last thing you want to save money is parts in your transmission. I mean you only open it up once 100k and you want to save money?
buy OEM. its less than $100 and comes with gasket and bolts.
honestly, if you cant afford $100 filter kit, you cant afford a BMW.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It all depends on brand I guess, like the fuel filter, Bosch make good fuel filters and it's about half the price of an OEM like Mahle, same goes for Mann-Filters. I use Bosch a lot when I find the OE or OEM are to expensive for my wallet. And of course Bosch is also an OEM for BMW for a lot of components. Just don't buy any Chinese stuff unless it's made under warranty of an US or European based company.... How ever, in the long run OE and OEM components are more durable thus cheapest ;).

·
Registered
286 Posts
the last thing you want to save money is parts in your transmission. I mean you only open it up once 100k and you want to save money?
The head mechanic of ZF advises to change the ATF after every 50,000-75,000 miles or after 8 years at the most.

ZF empfiehlt da einen Getriebeölwechsel zwischen 80- und 120000KM, oder spätestens nach 8 Jahren

·
Registered
516 Posts
Many times "aftermarket" parts are oe parts in different boxes. My NAPA thermostat was exactly the same as the BMW unit it replaced, minus the roundel. It was literally the exact same part.

On the other hand I bought a NAPA oil filter that was about 1/4" larger on the inside than the oem. Had I used it probably would have collapsed because the filter media wasn't being supported by the plastic center tube. I exchanged it because I wasn't about to risk it.

So the moral of the story is... look at what you're buying carefully. Sometimes you can save money but sometimes you're taking a risk...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.