BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in the past few weeks I needed my FCAB and my front left control arm replaced. The steering wheel was driving fine then. After i got both parts replaced a few days ago, I have been feeling A LOT more vibration on my steering wheel, to the point where the front seats are vibrating too. I asked the mechanic that replaced my parts to me what was going on and he said its probably because my wheels are bent and tires are bad in the front. But I dont get why , after getting the parts replaced, the steering was better but the vibration became real bad.

Also, I have been getting a whirling sound everytime i accelerate or decelerate the car. It sounds like its coming from the front wheels. As i go faster, the sound goes faster. As i slow down, the sound slows down with the speed. Again I asked the mechanic before where the sound is coming from, and I did replace the front driver side wheel bearing a month back, that he said it might be the bad tires/bad wheels.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
You NEED to have your vehicle re-aligned after any kind of suspension work. While you're at it, have your wheels re-balanced too.

About the "whirling sound"... Does it sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf3k21QiQxs

If so... bad bearings, they are shot.
You can do a spin-test like I did in the vid to confirm.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea the whirling sound sounds like that but theres no marble sound.

greasing what?

and the alignment might fix the vibration of the wheel?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, my radiator expansion tank was leaking before. I purchased a brand new oem tank and had my mechanic replace it. My mechanic said the hoses and thermostats were still in good shape so he reused them. A few days later, the radiator light went on again -_-. I refilled it with bmw coolant and water and after parking from an hour of driving, i saw liquid leaking from the front. Are the hoses bad? or whats going on?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Also, my radiator expansion tank was leaking before. I purchased a brand new oem tank and had my mechanic replace it. My mechanic said the hoses and thermostats were still in good shape so he reused them. A few days later, the radiator light went on again -_-. I refilled it with bmw coolant and water and after parking from an hour of driving, i saw liquid leaking from the front. Are the hoses bad? or whats going on?
Sounds like he didnt do a good job.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i asked a friend and he said it might be actually the radiator leaking now ? how can you check for that?

and i just replaced the front left bearing, which another mechanic said, is there any other parts that might make the whirling noise?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just replaced the upper radiator hose/bleeding screw and is working fine now.

still no idea what the whirling sound is coming from.

can it really be from the bent rims/bad tires?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it sounds more like a roller coaster ride/an old school train on the tracks while im driving. but i can barely hear the noise after 30-35 mph .

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i have finally fixed my whirling noise.

But...

after a few weeks, another problem came up

everytime i reverse my car, i hear a clucking sound, like as if something was stuck on the rotor. the clucking sound sounds like the clicking of a pen, but deeper and heavier.

when i reverse straight, the clucking sound is barely there.

but the clucking sound becomes louder when i have the wheel turned to the left or right while reversing

i checked the bottom of the car and it doesnt seem like anything is loose.

any ideas what the problem is?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so my friend says it might be the front driver axle making the sound.

its sounds like something is clicking on something, only when i turn while reversing.

any ideas?

·
Registered
130 Posts
so my friend says it might be the front driver axle making the sound.

its sounds like something is clicking on something, only when i turn while reversing.

any ideas?
You mention a front axle - Do you have an XI? If so then it could be a CV joint in the front. If not then you have NO axle in the front and I would ask what type of control arm went on. Also the shop that did the bearing could have potentially damaged the ball joint installing the bearing? Control Arm was the only thing I've had "pop" on the front. I've heard of other's strut mounts "creaking" though...

My rear sway bushings make a little "pop" going over bumps as the bar turns in the bushing - that's another little knock but that comes from the rear.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I actually have a 330I, so I guess it throws the axle idea out of the picture.

The control arm that was installed is a oem BMW control arm.

How dangerous is it to drive on a damaged ball joint?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so after a few months, after replacing my radiator expansion tank, upper radiator hose, and bleeder screw, my radiator expansion tank started to leak again. just five minutes ago, i was planning on checking the level of the raidator fluid, so i loosened the bleeder screw, unscrewed the cap, turned the engine on, and out of nowhere, all this fluid started to leak from under the car. I filled the e.t. back up with 50/50 coolant, tighten the screw and the cap back on.

what's going on? is the radiator leaking now? or is the lower radiator hose leaking since I havent replaced it yet?

Also , I did replace my water /heater valve a few weeks back, maybe i placed the hoses into it in the opposite hole?
longer hose goes ontop right?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
btw, I have a little over 99k on the car. Should I get a inspection 2 first ? or deal with the cooling system first?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts