E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, despite helpful suggestions given by certain members, unfortunately problems still exist with my aFe CAI. (1st) after installation, CEL light came on driving >500mi, now my 3rd reset. (2nd) engine stalled! at stop going into 1st gear accelerate to enter a busy road, engine lost rpm and stalled. This happened 5times, I had to raise rpm to get going. Then on 3rd gear went to neutral to stop, engine dropped rmp, depressed accelerator to keep it from stalling, again! HELP!!! Thanks.
P.S. I called Eric with aFe, no clue or solution, adviced to drive it around for another 500mi. Wait and see?

·
Registered
976 Posts
CPaqman said:
hey all, despite helpful suggestions given by certain members, unfortunately problems still exist with my aFe CAI. (1st) after installation, CEL light came on driving >500mi, now my 3rd reset. (2nd) engine stalled! at stop going into 1st gear accelerate to enter a busy road, engine lost rpm and stalled. This happened 5times, I had to raise rpm to get going. Then on 3rd gear went to neutral to stop, engine dropped rmp, depressed accelerator to keep it from stalling, again! HELP!!! Thanks.
P.S. I called Eric with aFe, no clue or solution, adviced to drive it around for another 500mi. Wait and see?
I would double check the install. I installed one a couple months ago with no problems.

Could be symptoms of a bad camshaft position sensor too.

What fault codes were you getting?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BWMguy206 said:
I would double check the install. I installed one a couple months ago with no problems.

Could be symptoms of a bad camshaft position sensor too.

What fault codes were you getting?
The installation was easy, quadripled checked it! Everything is tight, plugged, and connected. I'm now looking to purchase a fault code reader...quick!

·
next mod: recaro child seat
2,211 Posts
SonTon2003 said:
Put back the stock one on and see if it goes away...
:werd: the only way to tell if the aFe is contributing to the problem is to return it to stock for a while...symptoms sound like it could be the cam sensor (as mentioned above), or maybe a damaged MAF sensor.

'Iniquity' just posted a review of this intake w/out any problems, so i'd get the fault codes read, and depeding on what they come back with, swap in the stock box and see if it goes away...hope you get it sorted.... :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeff43 said:
:werd: the only way to tell if the aFe is contributing to the problem is to return it to stock for a while...symptoms sound like it could be the cam sensor (as mentioned above), or maybe a damaged MAF sensor.

'Iniquity' just posted a review of this intake w/out any problems, so i'd get the fault codes read, and depeding on what they come back with, swap in the stock box and see if it goes away...hope you get it sorted.... :)
Thanks! I'm ordering a Peake fault code reader, but not going to have time to put back stock box till Thursday... aint gonna be much of a Thanksgiving! Interum, wish me luck driving it home. I'll see if it will improve until then. :bawling:

·
Registered
460 Posts
E46MTree said:
Everyone knows AFE is garbage and overpriced -- return it, and get yourself the Conforti intake or wait for K&N.
i beg to differ..

i've got it with no problems whatsoever.. i even dyno'd a gain of 11rwhp/10rwtq at the peak... and about 15rwhp/13rwtq max gain.... no adaptation time.. and no loss of low end either...

I'm guessing the MAF may have been damaged during install..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ADA said:
Since my last post: Fault Code showed; CamShaft Sensor, Cylinder misfire, MAF sensor. The dealer replace Camshaft sensor, and I place a screen wire mesh in front of the MAF sensor to help accomodate for turbulance. AND I bought the Shark Injector. So far so good. I am enjoying the car's upgrade performance. Just have to buy new rear tires.. It's almost bald!! haha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts