E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,I am buying an air intake this week and was wondering what brand I should go with for a little more hp. Should I spend the extra $80 and get the stage 1 afe pro dry or just stick with the $300 K and N?:thanks:

·
european auto source
12,261 Posts
Hey,I am buying an air intake this week and was wondering what brand I should go with for a little more hp. Should I spend the extra $80 and get the stage 1 afe pro dry or just stick with the $300 K and N?:thanks:
Neither. Get a quality filter using your stock airbox for the best results.

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
If you have to choose, get the aFe.. anyone who recommends the K&N isn't your friend.. but just sticking with the stock box is the best option

·
Registered
0 Posts
There will be no noticeable HP or Torque gains. You buy an intake pretty much for the whistle sound. If the $300 purchase is worth the whistle then go for it, otherwise buy a replacement filter for alot cheaper.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
S

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Air intakes do nothing for hp
wrong. they do do something, but a very VERY small something, an intake alone will get you negligible HP, but its one of those mods that it doesnt hurt to have, and would actually be beneficial in combination with other mods like headers and exhaust.

as far as which one goes, the stock air box with a K&N drop in actually yields the best results, tested by AA and offered as a part of one of their NA power packages.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies ! I went with an AFE intake. I don't understand why it wouldn't do anything for performance. Not even 5-6 HP? Why do they make intakes then?

·
Registered
951 Posts

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Thanks for all the replies ! I went with an AFE intake. I don't understand why it wouldn't do anything for performance. Not even 5-6 HP? Why do they make intakes then?
Those gains are 100% unrealistic, I hope you didn't think that was the minimum you could hope for. They make intakes because most manufacturers don't/can't make them very well from the factory. Unfortunately for you, BMW is a company that can and does. Sure, you can improve on the stock design, but companies that do don't sell their intakes for 300 odd bucks.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What you said makes no sense to me. Bmw is not the only automotive manufacturer that specifically makes their stock intakes better than any other automotive manufacturer out there. Thousands of hours are spent on engine tests for stock intakes by GM, Ford, Acura, Honda, ect. I am sure that the stock intake on the 2010 Camaro is junk and actually takes away its engine performance. I highly doubt that! :facepalm:

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
What you said makes no sense to me. Bmw is not the only automotive manufacturer that specifically makes their stock intakes better than any other automotive manufacturer out there. Thousands of hours are spent on engine tests for stock intakes by GM, Ford, Acura, Honda, ect. I am sure that the stock intake on the 2010 Camaro is junk and actually takes away its engine performance. I highly doubt that! :facepalm:
You know what, i'm not even going to bother getting in an argument about this with you :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They give "OUR" cars more power because they are engineered for modification and damn does that LS9 engine naturally aspirated kill the M3........If it does nothing then that tells me the engine is at its peak performance with only 170hp. So I guess I cannot add cheap HP to my e46, very sad.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Engineered for modification? :lmao: so basically you're agreeing with me when I say they're under-engineered? An intake wont add performance so suddenly your car is at peak power? That's pretty close minded, there is a lot of stuff you can do to your car to make it faster (and on top of that add power, you just can't rely on bolt-ons to get you huge results). Peak HP isn't everything, you'll find that out soon enough.

I think the problem is that you brought a 323 for a start. You seem to want a fast car, so why did you buy a 323?

But back to your original question, feel free to source any of the bs you've stated so far :). I know you're probably used to making a statement without having to back it up, but things are a little different now. As for the whole "you highly doubt an intake takes away power", you should probably do a little reading before you decide to start blabbing. What does an intake do again? Oh yeah, it filters contaminates out of the engines air supply. What does that do? Oh yeah, it decreases power by design. Now if you claim that everyone else makes intakes properly (and I didn't say everyone, I said most manufacturers don't) then how can you explain that an intake on a M54 will do nothing for power, whereas one on a LS1 for example it will add power?

Anyway, hopefully you'll encounter a corner on your daily commute and you'll see why people prefer 3 series to cars like Mustangs :)

As for the whole S65 (thats the new M3 engine) vs LS9 thing, give me a second.. could you state when both engines were designed and what displacement they have, and which one has forced induction? That might give us a small insight as to why one puts out more power than the other :) Anyway, I was never talking about the LS9 or an M3 to start off with so I don't know why you decided to bring them up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts