BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had a problem with the AFE intake for the 330 causing a Service Engine Soon light?

I had a Conforti Intake that I just returned because I kept getting a SES light and am looking to the AFE intake to hopefully solve this problem for me.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no what code are you getting from the ses?
I asked about the 330, and I'm really specifically interested in those with an MS45.1 DME but I assume most people don't know their DME revision.

I also mentioned that my problem was with the Conforti and not with the AFE. And my error code is that I'm running lean on banks 1 & 2. I don't get this code with the stock box back on.

·
Registered
33,143 Posts
I asked about the 330, and I'm really specifically interested in those with an MS45.1 DME but I assume most people don't know their DME revision.

I also mentioned that my problem was with the Conforti and not with the AFE. And my error code is that I'm running lean on banks 1 & 2. I don't get this code with the stock box back on.
I've got the MS43 in my 330 but I don't get a SES light whether I have the stock intake, dinan carbon fiber tube intake, or no intake. I don't really get how any intake could cause running lean. Sounds more like a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Cheack your lower intake boot for cracks, common problem on our cars!

·
Registered
33,143 Posts
If it were cracked, wouldn't I get the SES light with the OEM intake on as well though?

Any drawings or links to a picture of exactly what to check?
The AFE intake probably stretches the intake a little tiny bit and opens up the crack in the intake boot. Search for a DIY in the intake boot. It's pretty common for it to fail.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Has anyone ever had a problem with the AFE intake for the 330 causing a Service Engine Soon light?

I had a Conforti Intake that I just returned because I kept getting a SES light and am looking to the AFE intake to hopefully solve this problem for me.

Thanks for any help!

The ZHP's have the MS45.1. Having said car and said intake I did not get an SES light nor a CEL.

Headers are to blame for the CEL :p

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Did you scan for the code to see what is tripping it? Did you alter or knock the MAF sensor when installing?
I definitely did not alter/knock the MAF while installing. If I did, then I would be having this same problem with the OEM airbox installed.
The ZHP's have the MS45.1. Having said car (ZHP) and said intake (AFE) I did not get an SES light nor a CEL.

Headers are to blame for the CEL :p
If the headers are to blame then once again why wouldn't it do it with the OE airbox on. Better yet, how can the headers affect the car and make it think that it is running lean?

Also, I said I had the Conforti which was causing the problem, not the AFE. (does anyone ever read the OP? :facepalm:)
The AFE intake probably stretches the intake a little tiny bit and opens up the crack in the intake boot. Search for a DIY in the intake boot. It's pretty common for it to fail.
I said I had the Conforti which was causing the problem, not the AFE. (does anyone ever read the OP? :facepalm:)

·
Registered
171 Posts
sorry, should have been more clear. I meant the headers are to blame on my end. the AFE intake never set it off for me.

edit... and I did read, and I am telling you that I have the same car and I have not had a problem with the AFE and the SES. Thus answering your question.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I only had this problem if its colder then 32* and I have the ECIS.

·
Registered
785 Posts
intakes trip CELs pretty often. more air makes the fuel mixture lean and trips a code from MAF. try spraying some electrical cleaner stuff into the MAF. heard it worked for someone before.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry, should have been more clear. I meant the headers are to blame on my end. the AFE intake never set it off for me.

edit... and I did read, and I am telling you that I have the same car and I have not had a problem with the AFE and the SES. Thus answering your question.
Awesome, thank you and that is very clear now.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Thanks for any help!
I replied to your other thread. I have the Conforti on my 2004 330i and didn't have any SES light on my car. I had it in my car for 1 year without issues. Only had to take it out for the scheduled maintenance, but have been too busy...err...lazy to put it back on.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have a 325, which I understand isn't who you're asking for responses from - I read :) – but this slight physical stretch seems to be true in my case (for 325s) and for 330s, because of the differential angle of the MAF when connected to the AFE intake vs. when connected to the stock airbox. I did get SES codes after installing the AFE (the same ones you got, bank 1 and 2), but after adjusting the intake (shifting it as far as possible so the differential angle was as small as possible) and clearing the codes, the codes have not reappeared.

I definitely did not alter/knock the MAF while installing. If I did, then I would be having this same problem with the OEM airbox installed.
Another thing to note is the inconsistency of the comp in relaying codes and also the time/mileage required for the comp to reevaluate after resetting. For example, when I originally got the codes with my AFE, I removed it (this is before I reinstalled/readjusted it), cleared the codes, and put my stock airbox back in, because I needed to pass my emmissions test that week. When I got to the test center and they hooked up to the OBD2 port, they ran the diagnostics and said that I had driven long/far enough for the comp to reevaluate after I reset codes.

Just my 2 cents, don't know if that helps.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
After doing my homework, I've found a high number of people who have had problems with the Conforti intake and were only able to fix it by going back to stock. Yet most of the people I've spoken to with the AFE intake seem to say that if they ever had a problem, that it was corrected by either fixing their install mistake or by repairing something else.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
After doing my homework, I've found a high number of people who have had problems with the Conforti intake and were only able to fix it by going back to stock. Yet most of the people I've spoken to with the AFE intake seem to say that if they ever had a problem, that it was corrected by either fixing their install mistake or by repairing something else.
No problems here - had it on since April 2008

·
Registered
33,143 Posts
I said I had the Conforti which was causing the problem, not the AFE. (does anyone ever read the OP? :facepalm:)
Same thing, just a cone filter setup. I know someone who got a Dinan intake and had the same problem. Your codes and problems have nothing to do with the your intake.

Engine running leans ---> more air getting in than measured ---> air getting in after the MAF sensor

:slap:

intakes trip CELs pretty often. more air makes the fuel mixture lean and trips a code from MAF. try spraying some electrical cleaner stuff into the MAF. heard it worked for someone before.
Not the way engines work, and MAF's can compensate for almost any change in airflow, temperature, altitude, etc... Whether you even have a an air filter on the MAF or not won't even phase it.

Also do not use electrical cleaner as it is hard on plastics, which much of the MAF is made out of. They have MAF cleaner for cleaning MAF sensors, but for the most part is useless on an E46 because the E46 uses self cleaning MAF sensors.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts