BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been off the forums for a while now since i got married a few years ago and my car wasn't my first priority anymore (i know, crazy right?) but i'm in the mood to do something to my car again.

As the title says, is getting the afe elbow, shark injector and this air scoop http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=332941 from another member, worth the money?

If anyone has done any of these please chime in and let me know if there would be at least a slight difference in my driving expirience if i get any or all three of these things.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The air scoop isn't going to get you really anything. The elbow will help, but I'm not sure you'll notice much. I did a Streamline air filter, Gizmo, Streamline Elbow and the Shark Injector. I don't think Helene Performance is still making the Streamline products for the E46 any longer, but the setup provided some improvement. It's not a substantial increase, but I wanted something without adjusting the exhaust note.

Ideally, I'd add a high-flow throttle body and a more aggressive engine mapping.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The air scoop isn't going to get you really anything. The elbow will help, but I'm not sure you'll notice much. I did a Streamline air filter, Gizmo, Streamline Elbow and the Shark Injector. I don't think Helene Performance is still making the Streamline products for the E46 any longer, but the setup provided some improvement. It's not a substantial increase, but I wanted something without adjusting the exhaust note.

Ideally, I'd add a high-flow throttle body and a more aggressive engine mapping.
High flow throttle bodies? :hmm:

OP the drop in filter is the best bang for your buck. FWIW I went with BMC, and have been pleased. The elbow is next on my list to try.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Air scoop is a waste of money. Best bet is to get the elbow and a filter. If you really want performance, save up for headers (CSl/Euro or SS) and software. GL

·
Registered
304 Posts
There is no point of sharking your ecu at this point.

Usually its best to do the software upgrade only after you've put on headers, exhaust, etc etc.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys.

I already have the filter (i forgot which one, i bought it a few years ago) I think it actually is the streamline drop in. Maybe i'll try the elbow and call it a day.

I was considering headers but i didn't want to spend all that money. I just wanted a quick bang for yout buck type thing but i know that's not really easy with these engines.

The air scoop seems like a legitimate idea and it would be nice to help out a fellow forum member but i'd rather keep my money in my own pocket too.

·
Registered
304 Posts
yea in that case, the best mod i ever did was my K&N intake which had a cone filter.

It gives a crazy boost past 4000rpms and you can hear it roar!
:thumbup:

·
May the farts be with you, always
6,797 Posts
weld in some ar20s and call it a day.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Fabio,

These products could only help your performance rather than hinder it. The afe scoops and afe elbow are two very popular sellers for me.

aFe Intake Elbow

aFe Scoops

Hope this helps!

Kevin

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
this is the best set up IMHO....Dont buy the elbow the OEM elbow is fine.

1. BMC Filter
2. RPI Scoops
3. ESS Tune

I have Shark injectors..worthless.. only have it because previous owner bought it.. ill be going to ESS very soon.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Contrary to what some have posted here, the Elbow/Filter combination makes real power without heatsoak. The elbow made 6.8 rwhp more than just a drop in filter alone. This has been dyno tested several times, on the same car, same dyno, and same day. Its nothing magical. Simple fluid dynamics. The stock elbow produces a ton of turbulence with the corrugated grooves. The AFE or streamline elbow all but eliminates this, and the air has a straight shot to the TB's. The k&N intake is problematic, and actually proven to lose HP, although intake "noise" is increased. Without proper modifications, the K&N is nothing more than a noise maker and power hinder-er.

For a concise review of drop in filters, elbow and stock intake with dyno graphs uploaded, check here :http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=184378

Stay away from the Shark Injector. There are much better tuning solutions, even without headers. I'd go with ESS. I've previously had Powerchip, and D/A, and the ESS hit the bullseye. The shark injector ruined the throttle response, IMO. I've driven two with that POS software package.

There's a guy who builds RPI knock off scoops on M3forum.net. Great fit, flush and OEM look for $50. PM me and I will give you his information.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Contrary to what some have posted here, the Elbow/Filter combination makes real power without heatsoak. The elbow made 6.8 rwhp more than just a drop in filter alone. This has been dyno tested several times, on the same car, same dyno, and same day. Its nothing magical. Simple fluid dynamics. The stock elbow produces a ton of turbulence with the corrugated grooves. The AFE or streamline elbow all but eliminates this, and the air has a straight shot to the TB's. The k&N intake is problematic, and actually proven to lose HP, although intake "noise" is increased. Without proper modifications, the K&N is nothing more than a noise maker and power hinder-er.

For a concise review of drop in filters, elbow and stock intake with dyno graphs uploaded, check here :http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=184378

Stay away from the Shark Injector. There are much better tuning solutions, even without headers. I'd go with ESS. I've previously had Powerchip, and D/A, and the ESS hit the bullseye. The shark injector ruined the throttle response, IMO. I've driven two with that POS software package.

There's a guy who builds RPI knock off scoops on M3forum.net. Great fit, flush and OEM look for $50. PM me and I will give you his information.

Thanks for the info buddy. :) Maybe i'll give the elbow a try. Won't break the bank so i won't feel horrible if i notice nothing.

And the overall concensus seems to be ESS tuning between here and the other forums i posted this question on, so if and when i decide to "upgrade" my ecu i'll use them.

Regarding the scoop, yea i know about the guy, i actually posted his link on my first post up top.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts