BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday got my AFE air intake kit and installed it. I was hesitant early on in purchasing this kit due to the metal heat shield construction, but searched and read a lot of threads and most people seemed satisfied. On the parts front the kit is nice quality parts and the fit was pretty good, but not perfect. My biggest problem was the cold air box is not separated at all from the coolant reservoir/fill cap. I briefly drove around the block to make sure no check engine lights came on and everything sounded good, and remembered I hadn't tightened one screw all the way. When popped the top of the heat shield back off, the coolant reservoir was hotter to touch than the engine cover, and this is right within the cold air box :banghead:. Overall the intake is constructed well, but this lack of any cover separating the coolant reservoir from the cold air box angers me (keep in mind this is a $370 intake kit).

Anyone with the AFE intake have similar thoughts or ideas on simple solutions to add an additional heat shield piece to block off the coolant reservoir? Also anyone have any suggestions for a thin adhesive sheet style heat shield that could be applied to the metal of the cold air box?

end rant :hi:

·
Banned
448 Posts
you are being too picky. the afe gets its air from the kidney grill. when your car is moving, the heat from the engine bay or the coolant expansion tank is negible

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats somewhat what i figured, and why I was less concerned with the metal construction of the "heat shield". but it is still annoying.
From the pics i looked up earlier the conforti intake kit has the shield formed around the coolant expansion tank to block it from the filter. Seems like it would have been nice to have this on any heat shield, but I didn't even think of it and probably wouldn't had I not had to take the cover back off to tighten a bolt after driving.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Even if it does cover heat from the coolant reservoir/fill cap - how much of a gain are we talking about.

0-60 in 7.0 as appose to 6.9998

Just my 2 cents - but I feel you. I paid $345 shipped for mine and I too want to get my money worth - LOL.

Thats somewhat what i figured, and why I was less concerned with the metal construction of the "heat shield". but it is still annoying.
From the pics i looked up earlier the conforti intake kit has the shield formed around the coolant expansion tank to block it from the filter. Seems like it would have been nice to have this on any heat shield, but I didn't even think of it and probably wouldn't had I not had to take the cover back off to tighten a bolt after driving.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I hope you guys realize your MPG has now increased and with the current gas prices these days you guys are paying back that intake in a matter of like 8 months probably. Ofcourse more hp and you guys decide to drive faster thats different then your losing MPG lol.

·
Content free since 1994
585 Posts
I did before and after G-tech runs when I installed mine. Same day, same temp, etc. It made an unexpectedly awesome performance improvement ... several tenths in fact. It never occurred to me to worry about heat radiating from the fill reservoir. I don't think it's a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts