E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy's,

So i gave the girl a oil / filter change and even went as far as a coolant flush ...( Girl Power ).. And whilst doing these things i had to remove
the AFE Intake filter off to get access to the coolant bleed screw..
Can someone educate me please on why is there a alloy angle installed over the stock BMW air supply which appears to be blocking
air supply to the AFE air filter.. ( Pic 2 ).
I know AFE supply the angle with the overall kit but i have been taught the more air / colder air you can have around the filter the better.
I have even watched video's on people pushing the aftermarket air intakes out of the engine bay and down to the back of there bumpers
to get more air / colder air..

So this particular alloy attachment is screwing with my brain and i need someone to explain why it's there restricting airflow..

Look forward to your response..
Chawewan..

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive tire
Vehicle Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Carbon
I would like to

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I assume its to try to block hot air off the engine..... a feat that I'd be impressed if it accomplished. That said - I don't know where the intake's cold air is supposed to come from.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Guy's,

So i gave the girl a oil / filter change and even went as far as a coolant flush ...( Girl Power ).. And whilst doing these things i had to remove
Can someone educate me please on why is there a alloy angle installed over the stock BMW air supply which appears to be blocking
I know AFE supply the angle with the overall kit but i have been taught the more air / colder air you can have around the filter the better.
I have even watched video's on people pushing the aftermarket air intakes out of the engine bay and down to the back of there bumpers

So this particular alloy attachment is screwing with my brain and i need someone to explain why it's there restricting airflow..

Chawewan..

View attachment 937129 View attachment 937130 I would like to
Moisture deflector, forces the water to the bottom.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assume its to try to block hot air off the engine..... a feat that I'd be impressed if it accomplished. That said - I don't know where the intake's cold air is supposed to come from.
Thx Alan,

But the coldest air you can get is outside of the engine bay in which the OEM BMW Air intake is supplying to the air filter yet it's blocked off..

AND yes i seem to agree that it is confusing as to were the cold air is supposed to come from..

I'm leaning on the idea to take it off ( as most people only have the AFE for sound purposes ) and put the OEM Air Filter system back on...

Cheers
Chawewan..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moisture deflector, forces the water to the bottom.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Thx Awsome46,

Now that's something i never gave a thought too...

Apart from putting the OEM Air Filter back on i could just remove the alloy as over here in QLD even though we have rain ( Serious Shit ) we only have it mostly in the evening ( 4pm - 7pm ) and as they are major down pours they are relatively spread out ( Autumn - Summer only as a rule ) once a week... No one likes to drive in Torrential rain especially in a Vert.....

Thx
Chawewan..

·
Registered
1980 733i, 2006 m3
341 Posts
If you are not in love with the intake sound, stock is very good. Filters are reasonably priced. Plus, you can sell the AFE to offset some of the cost, or get some other parts!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Guy's,

Chawewan..

View attachment 937129 View attachment 937130 I would like to
I don't see it blocking so much as deflecting airflow down. It's interesting that all these cold air intakes beg the question on the OEM cold air intake which is perfectly adequate. Unless someone has a FilterMinder hooked up to a stock system and can show the airflow is restricted I tend to think this setup is more likely to just suck hot air from the engine bay. Fair disclosure, I have a Dinan cold air box that uses an oblong wetted cotton (K&N?) filter twice or 3X as big as this one. It's a pain to change too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts