BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

What do you guys think about the AEM intake bypass valve. Do you think it is worth it? Since I have the stock coupe bumper. Do you guys think that getting water into the engine will be an issue with a CAI.

·
SBBMotorwerks
534 Posts
I have heard that you have to drive through about a foot of water to actually have that valve do anything. I am going to get the BenFer intake without the valve, and i will just put a sock on it (similar to the Dinan one) to keep any water out.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YEah,

I figure that I could simply get some sort of sock similar to the Dinan one as well. Does anyone know what the sock material is on the Dian CAI. It has to let the intake breath as well as keep out the water.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The precharger says that it is meant to work dry. So maybe I will just try to order one from Dinan. The filter should be the same.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The by-pass valve is a complete waste of money!!

Unless you dump your entire front end into water or live in an area that is prone to flooding, you do NOT have to worry about water seeping in

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does not really add to the look of the CAI as well.

Max_Boost said:
The by-pass valve is a complete waste of money!!

Unless you dump your entire front end into water or live in an area that is prone to flooding, you do NOT have to worry about water seeping in

·
Town Clown
15,001 Posts
any idea on a price for the sock? I've got the Dinan price guide, but it doesn't show any sort of water sock/wrap.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just sent an email to a Canadian Dinan distributor to find out if they sell it and if so how much. I will let you know when I found out.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it's suppose to come standard but I will be ordering the Benfer so that's why. The K&N filter should be the same for the Dinan and Benfer.

Craig said:
I thought the Dinan "jimmy hat" came standard with all Dinan intake kits?? :dunno:

·
Registered
70 Posts
als00328ci said:
I think it's suppose to come standard but I will be ordering the Benfer so that's why. The K&N filter should be the same for the Dinan and Benfer.

I will be ordering the Benfer also, are you in on the group buy and have you seen the dyno sheet for the Benfer?

·
Imported *******
855 Posts
AEM only invented that because of the number of dumbazz import ricers who have extremely low cars and yet drive through 12-18 inches of standing water.

Believe me, I knew a lot of them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Say you find yourself in a puddle of water you had no idea was so deep...

AEM bypass valve lets you drive out of the puddle (unless it's deeper than the location of the bypass valve, in which case you have bigger problems.

K&N "sock" will (in theory, never seen it done) cut off all airflow if submersed, and your engine will stall - leaving you in the puddle.

If you live in an an area prone to flooding, I'd get the bypass valve. If you just live in a "wet" area (NW United States/Canada) that doesn't flood, the bypass valve is still your best insurance in case of a surprise flood - however just a sock will do if all you're going to encounter is a lot of rain.

-Steve

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steve, My question is. Even without the sock or aem valve. How would the cai be affected in the rain with my stock coupe bumper. If I do run into a big puddle the intake looks like it is fairly protected by the bumper itself. Any comments.

·
Registered
194 Posts
als00328ci said:
Steve, My question is. Even without the sock or aem valve. How would the cai be affected in the rain with my stock coupe bumper. If I do run into a big puddle the intake looks like it is fairly protected by the bumper itself. Any comments.
In the rain you won't be affected by running just the filter w/no valve. I have run CAI on my E39 540i with no sock/aem in pouring rain and been fine. I think the AEM valve is worthwhile as cheap insurance against hydrolock in a flood situation, but it won't do squat for you in the rain. With your bumper, even moderate to heavy rain won't reach that filter - at least not in quantities which would jeopardize your engine. Go through a puddle that's deeper than the highest point on your intake, however, and it's a different story.

-Steve

1 - 20 of 26 Posts