BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help on clutches

I own a 2000 323i, I have only owned this car for about 4 months. I have a couple concerns about the clutch in my car. the friction point is really high up. basically if you are driving, just push the clutch down about an inch and the car is no longer in gear. Is my clutch about to die? If so.. do you guys recommend OEM clutches or an aftermarket clutch? How much does this whole process cost? (parts only)

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, if you guys can direct me to any websites that can help me, or websites that sells clutches for a good price.. THANKS!

·
Registered
399 Posts
you need to adjust the clutch quadrant, im assuming e46's have this, is basically controls the clutch pedal movement. I'm sure the clutch is fine, i would stick with OEM clutch if you want it to drive like a bmw, if you put on an aftermarket clutch such as a SPEC, which i have, then your car will not be anything close to the smoothness that you are used to.

parts: I know my spec II was 299. Im sure the OEM bmw clutch is less than that, check out circle bmw to be sure. labor is probabely be 4hrs and whatever labor rate your shop charges.

but just find someone that can adjust either the clutch cable by installing a firewall adjuster or changing your quadrant setup

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dmoeller17 said:
you need to adjust the clutch quadrant, im assuming e46's have this, is basically controls the clutch pedal movement. I'm sure the clutch is fine, i would stick with OEM clutch if you want it to drive like a bmw, if you put on an aftermarket clutch such as a SPEC, which i have, then your car will not be anything close to the smoothness that you are used to.

parts: I know my spec II was 299. Im sure the OEM bmw clutch is less than that, check out circle bmw to be sure. labor is probabely be 4hrs and whatever labor rate your shop charges.

but just find someone that can adjust either the clutch cable by installing a firewall adjuster or changing your quadrant setup
Thanks.. ill get the bmw mech to check it out

·
Registered
220 Posts
Interlude said:
I own a 2000 323i, I have only owned this car for about 4 months. I have a couple concerns about the clutch in my car. the friction point is really high up. basically if you are driving, just push the clutch down about an inch and the car is no longer in gear. Is my clutch about to die? If so.. do you guys recommend OEM clutches or an aftermarket clutch? How much does this whole process cost? (parts only)

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:
E46 Clutches have their engagement point up quite high. This is normal. Most of the pedal travel is useless. Also, BMWs have a Self Adjusting Clutch Mechanism or SAC. Besides removing alot of the clutch feel, it also is supposed to keep the clutch engagement point from moving throughout the life of the clutch. Therefore, there are really no adjustments that can be made. What you are experiencing is normal. Unless the clutch is slipping or not fully disengaging, you are fine.

EDIT: Rob Levinson is also a great resource for this kind of info. So a search for clutch and his name and you'll find all kinds of info.

4,239 Posts
dmoeller17 said:
you need to adjust the clutch quadrant, im assuming e46's have this, is basically controls the clutch pedal movement.
BMW clutches do not have any sort of "adjustment".

The SAC mechanism (as explained in the post above, and I posted a big writeup here - search for SAC*) adjusts itself, but is technically not installer-adjustable... but it must be locked upon initial installation or reset properly if removed.

It's a lost cause, as the SAC fails so easily. Big mess, which is why I'll never sell a SAC-equipped clutch again... all UUC flywheel/clutch packages now feature a conversion to a "proper" clutch without the SAC mechanism.

To see what a nightmare it is to install a SAC-equipped clutch, download the install procedure:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/SAC_CLUTCH_INSTALL.efx

( requires free eFax viewer from http://www.efax.com )

All current UUC flywheel/clutch kits are designed with BMW performance pressure plates that do not have the SAC mechanism, so installation is easy and there cannot be a SAC-related failure.

- Rob Levinson

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rob.. is it true that what im experiencing is true about the clutch engagement point? All I have to do is step on the clutch about an inch and I can switch gear. Honestly I cant tell if the clutch is slipping because sometimes I ride the clutch or pop the clutch because the friction zone is so damn small.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Rob, what is your take on remvoing the CDV? I went down to a local shop here in PA and the owner of the shop chewed me out, he kept saying something about my car has a dual mass fly wheel and thats the reason for the CDV..?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts