E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello dear E46Fanatics members, As of your experience I would like to ask your opinions and suggestions (basically help) about BMW E46 M3 Convertible, I want to buy one and I can pay up to 16.000$ that's in cars.com around 2002-2004, most of the millages are over 100K, and there are two transmission type, Manual and SMG II, which one would you suggest. And where I have to focus? I really want to have a nice one to take care of for long time.
Please help me with suggestions and advises.
Thank you very much in advance.

Gag

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've seen this car in person................ I wouldn't even think about buying it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
you can buy it but just remember you're going to be spending atleast $1-2k a year just to maintain it. It's just like any M3 out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
you can buy it but just remember you're going to be spending atleast $1-2k a year just to maintain it. It's just like any M3 out there.
Not all M3's are the same. Some are well cared for and some are drivin hard and put away wet. I have seen this car in person and heard it run. I went with my co-worker to look at it in late Dec. 2010. Same ad,pics,price and still for sale. What does that tell you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot people.
But I need more information, what should I focus on when buying? anything particular? or some common problems?
please...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not all M3's are the same. Some are well cared for and some are drivin hard and put away wet. I have seen this car in person and heard it run. I went with my co-worker to look at it in late Dec. 2010. Same ad,pics,price and still for sale. What does that tell you?
Thanks Ernie, that tells me "something doesn't smell good :)
Maybe suggestions? Where to buy? which one?
Currently I'm looking in autotrader.com and cars.com

There is another version of my purchase...
My friend is telling me to buy Honda Accord Coupe 2011 0 miles, brand new. For me it's $20K. I don't know guys, confused, I want to drive than BMW M3 Devil and convertible.
HELP!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks a lot people.
But I need more information, what should I focus on when buying? anything particular? or some common problems?
please...
Have you drivin an SMG and a 6spd to help you deside which you prefer? Try and find a car with service history(the more the better). Make sure all recalls have been preformed. Get a PPI (pre purchase inspection). Where are you located? Also remember convertible season is approaching fast so prices will rise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you drivin an SMG and a 6spd to help you deside which you prefer? Try and find a car with service history(the more the better). Make sure all recalls have been preformed. Get a PPI (pre purchase inspection). Where are you located? Also remember convertible season is approaching fast so prices will rise.
Very good point about prices! I'm in Philadelphia, PA
Here is what I'm looking at now it matches with almost everything you said

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...=b&num_records=100&cardist=908&standard=false

But it's expensive isn't it?

I have never drove E46, I had to drive E90 335i, E36 M,E 46 323i but never E46 M.
Does SMG II giving problems? malfunctions???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like you are looking in the right places,just be patient and you may find that good deal that you are looking for or it could give you time to save some more money so you get a car with fewer miles. GL :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, still thinking and doing a research, thanks tho everyone for support. If you have got to say more, please... That would be great!!!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
if you have to drive in heavy traffic often like i do, coming home from work, go SMG, but if you get a lot of open road action manual is best. i drive an SMG and i must say i absolutely love it! and i have an 02 M3 vert.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Buy a manual - the SMG is just one more thing that can go wrong
Make sure all recalls have been done
At this mileage RTABs should have been changed, or you will eat tires
Buy a car with a known service history/ make sure all inspections have been done on schedule
Find a shop where they work on these cars and ask them if they have any customers selling one.

I picked up a used 2003 in 2006, now have over 70k miles as daily driver. Puts a smile on my face every day - especially warm sunny ones.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Don't buy Conv. (IMO)
Don't buy SMG (IMO cause one more thing that could go wrong)
Check the car out at local indy shop DO NOT GO TO DEALER, they'll F**K you up.
watch out for subframe failure/crack or sh*t like that.
Watch out for RUST underbody.
Watch out for wet area, diff. head. tranny. etc.
Normal rubber tear and wear are acceptable
Maintenance record is always a plus.
finally DRIVE IT yourself, if you feel slightly wrong, then walk away.

·
flock killer
591 Posts
Don't buy Conv. (IMO)
Don't buy SMG (IMO cause one more thing that could go wrong)
Check the car out at local indy shop DO NOT GO TO DEALER, they'll F**K you up.
watch out for subframe failure/crack or sh*t like that.
Watch out for RUST underbody.
Watch out for wet area, diff. head. tranny. etc.
Normal rubber tear and wear are acceptable
Maintenance record is always a plus.
finally DRIVE IT yourself, if you feel slightly wrong, then walk away.
^what this guy said minus the convertible part (lol).

Always buy with the agreement that the deposit is refundable conditional on a PPI from a BMW dealer that demonstrates the only problems are normal rubber wear and tear (e.g. suspension bushings, etc.). the best way to know how these cars should feel is to test drive them from a BMW dealer (don't buy, just test them). go to more than one. Then you'll know what a well-maintained one feels like and you can compare to the independent sellers.

good luck, stick with a 6spd manual M3 vert and you'll be VERY happy (like me, lol...I'm on my 2nd).

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
^ yes

If I had to replace my car tomorrow I'd get the exact same thing -- same color, same M3 vert with 6-speed. Except maybe newer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts