BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all-

I am the original owner of my 2004 330Ci that came with the Sport package (aka sport suspension). Despite only 61k miles on the car, the Seattle roads (which suck and are quite hilly) have done some damage. When I last went into get the car aligned, the mechanic told me he was unable to fully adjust the car properly due to wear. Also the bushings are totally shot (clunks over the bumps) and I am thinking that it might be time after 14 years to look at getting the components refreshed.

After looking here and a bunch of other sites, I am not seeing anything recently posted that seems like a recommendation that provides a good balance of:

a) handling - firm but not harsh (I am not racing this car, daily driver),
b) ride - can absorb bad roads and the change of pitch that Seattle roads provide

Ideally getting something that provided a bit better ride with similar handling to the original OEM set up would be great - but most guides deal with hi-perf mods or lowering - which both are going to stink in Seattle as a daily driver.

Hoping that someone out there has found some good components at a reasonable cost...

Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Check out the FCAB's, If they have not been changed I would look for play in them and change them out before doing anything else as they are definitely a wear items on these cars.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have the same model and year and, at about the same milage, I replaced the shocks and struts with Koni FSD's, intalled Rouge Engineering rear shock mounts, Lemforder front strut mounts and my front control arms and bushings with Meyle HD.

You may not need the new dampers now, but the contol arms and bushing should help you and provide the stabilty you need and get rid of the clunking. When you do change the dampers, the setup I suggested should be give you the ride you described.

Only alignment problem I had was a bent rear control arm and I replaced it with a new BMW part.

·
Registered
612 Posts
x2 on Koni FSD with stock springs. These + Powerflex polyurethane FCA and RTA bushes is a fantastic ride in my opinion. Relatively soft on poor roads but drives like a go cart.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If you are addressing me, it was about $1400 considering I caught the Konis on sale. I did DIY and I had never done mechanic work before. There are many great videos to show you how to do these chores on your own.

Also, if you are changing the struts, get the reinforcement plates, they are cheap and good insurance agains mushrooming of the strut towers. I also installed a strut brace that I got from ECS Tuning for less than $150.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I did stock sport with a few m3 bearing upgrades and the reinforcement plates. Drives great now.
What M3 bearing upgrades? On the upper front struts, or something else?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, this is super late... @Max'ed out - do you know if having the S226A sports suspension (not ZHP) has any effect on the parts? most sites only say w/ or w/out sports suspension but I assume they are referring to ZHP not the lighter S226A that is on my car...

S226A Sports suspension settings

·
Registered
664 Posts
The sport suspension as far as I know is the same shocks and struts as the ZHP so dont worry about that difference. The control arms on the ZHP have stonger ball joints which is why I got the Meyle HD arms and the Meyle bushings are solid rather than liquid filled. Hope this helps.

PS, I think they have change to the name of the Koni shocks and struts to Active Sport or something like that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts