E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just got a 2004 318 Coupe M Sport with the 255/225 18" wheels, the rears are brand new Bridgestone 040's, the fronts are the original (as the car has done 20k miles) Bridgestone 040's and to be honest are about done, the car seems very twitchy and is quite tiring to try to hold in a straight line as you can feel it pulling left or right with the slightest road camber, i had a 2001 330 convertible and its steering didnt feel like this.

I hope its just because of the front tyres as they are worn a bit more on the outer edges than the inner edges. After looking through various posts people are saying to stay away from the Bridgestone 040's and go straight for the Mich Pilots

Anyone got any experience with this? :thanks:

·
Beware of pwner
1,714 Posts
I would suggest getting an alignment after you get the new tires on. It also might be a front control arm bushing problem. Try raising the front wheel, grab the wheel and try to move it around. If there is a lot of play, those might need to be replaced. HTH

·
Banned
17 Posts
I am running the same size set-up and I don't have much of a tramlining problem. How worn are the inside of your front tires? My right front tire was really worn and it pushed the tire wall in some which caused vibration and pulling....a new tire fixed the pulling problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am running the same size set-up and I don't have much of a tramlining problem. How worn are the inside of your front tires? My right front tire was really worn and it pushed the tire wall in some which caused vibration and pulling....a new tire fixed the pulling problem.
Its not the inside of the tyre thats worn unevenly, its worn slightly more on the outsides if anything, i'll have a look at the bushes but i think its the tyres, its just that theyre kinda expensive if i put the Bridgestone 040's on and its the same (or slightly better) then i cant really put yet another brand of fronts on, should i go straight for the Mich Pilots?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had a look at the bushes, i cant see anything broken, they do move a bit but they dont look broken and there is no knocking or anything, maybe its just me and the car is different.

Ive had another look at the front tyres, there is like 3mm left and they are actually pretty evenly worn

I dont feel any slack through the steering, if you hold the wheel dead straight you can feel the car moving slightly left then right underneath you, its a funny sensation but there again the wheels are quite big

·
Registered
754 Posts
It's the 18" low profile tires, my ZHP tramlines like a mofo on the stock Pilot Sports. Certain tires are known to reduce it. I know the Eagle F1 Asymetric is supposed to almost eliminate it but they wear fast and are expensive.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update : Just taken it to a main dealer, had the steering Guibo replaced, 2 new front tyres a new rear spring ! and the 4 wheel kds allignment,

Its definatly alot better, not perfect but 70% better i'd say.

The car dips side to side with the camber of the road but the steering wheel doesnt rip itself out your hands to follow the road any longer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts