BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got my hands on some BBS RS740 Style 42 17in. rims.

I have a 2005 BMW 325Ci and I want to fit these on there. What low profile tire sizes would work with this? Offset is for sure incorrect, just looking to see if anyone has advice on what might work best to avoid fender contact since the offset of the BBS Rims is 20mm and my car asks for 40mm offset wheel.

Any advice?
links attached to give a better idea of what im working with...

Attachments

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,531 Posts
With an ET20 (and the same 8" width), your rims are now sticking out another 27mm (1.06in; your OEM rims should be ET47). I'm thinking you're going to rub with 225/45R17... so maybe 205/50R17? Although max rim width for that is 7.5". Go here (https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator) to see optional tire sizes (that stay somewhat close to original).

Also, the center bore for these guys is 74.1 (E39s) -- our cars are 72.6, so you'll have to get some rings.

Personally, I would ditch these and get something specifically made for the E46... granted, it's easy for me to say, since I don't have to deal with it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks for the detailed response. Are the rims in the pictures you uploaded 17 or 18in. rims? I am honestly just looking to maximize the sporty look with low profile tires that allow good fender clearance.

This is the first time I ever deal with this type of modification. Would you be able to give me a link or even a part number to the rings that I would need to install? I assume I would need atleast 1 per wheel?

Other wheels don't quite give it this exact look atleast not at this price range so any modifications would be fine as long as theyre not too expensive...

Definitely looking to keep these by finding the best tire size and any info on other parts I might need to fit them safely and properly.

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,531 Posts
thanks for the detailed response. Are the rims in the pictures you uploaded 17 or 18in. rims? I am honestly just looking to maximize the sporty look with low profile tires that allow good fender clearance.
The rims in the cars in my sig are 18". The 325 (hers) has the M6 replica 18"x8" rims (I've not seen that size available for over a decade, though). Their ET is 38 and they fit just fine... tires are 225/40R18, which is very close in diameter to the original 225/45R17 (thus the speedo stays accurate).

The ZHP (mine) has the stock rims with stock tire size (225/40R18 F and 255/35R18 back).
This is the first time I ever deal with this type of modification. Would you be able to give me a link or even a part number to the rings that I would need to install? I assume I would need atleast 1 per wheel?
Yeah, you'd need hub-centric rings/adapters.
There are a ton of sellers that will carry proper wheels and accessories, though. I would start there, if anything to get an idea of what you're dealing with.

Here's a calculator to help you choose the right tire if you increase your rim size (https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/)

Some sellers:
www.ecstuning.com
www.modbargains.com
www.turnermotorsport.com

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Are spacers the same thing as hub centric rings? Im searching up 5x 120 20mm 74.1 to 72.6 spacers/hub centric rings.

Just want to make sure I get the right ones. Does it matter if theyre plastic?

Assuming I get 205/50-17 tires with this on the BBS's...

would I need different size hub centric rings for the front and rear? 20mm for all 4 of them? Or 20mm on the rear and smaller on the front? As long as I get fender clearance with no tire touching the fender whatsoever really.

LINKS ATTACHED OF WHAT I FOUND.. Which are you referring to?

https://www.amazon.com/2pcs-20mm-0-75-inch-Hubcentric/dp/B00KTPE3J0/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=5x120+20mm+hub+centric+ring&qid=1587201075&s=automotive&sr=1-3

OR

|
|
v

https://www.amazon.com/ZHTEAPR-HubCentric-74-1mm-Aluminium-Hubring/dp/B07WRBXH44/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=74.1+to+72.6&qid=1587202421&sr=8-3 ??

·
Registered
90 Posts
The bottom choice. Hubcentric adapter rings.

ET20 wheels are obviously a more aggressive fit but if you look at the stock wheels, you’ve got a bunch of room to play with.

The other factor not mentioned is tire stretch. Personally, a 205-series tire on an 8-in rim is too much stretch, and won’t give you that ‘factory look’ you’re wanting. I’d run 225s, choose the correct aspect ratio, and use a bit of camber to give you the clearance you want.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with the rims on the red car but what do I know. I agree with above comment: find some E46 or at least BMW rims with correct offset and center hole, run 225/45/17 which is a common size. Avoid the potential fit problems, body rubbing that you only discover after you've bought, mounted and installed tires.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm with RRRM80. If the wheel sticks out more than an inch farther than stock, I think you're definitely going to rub the tires on the fender lip. My tires will compress up into the fender well designed at a place for the tire to go when the suspension is compressed. Your tires will compress and hit the fender lip. I don't see how that's going to work. I think you will turn into a driveway and the tire tears up your plastic inner fender, or bends the fender lip.

It's just my opinion but when I see guys driving cars where they've ignored good handling vehicle principles to put tires on that protrude out like that, whatever "cool" factor is lost when they have to creep super slow into a restaurant while the tire scrapes and rubs. Every onlooker stares at the sound and wonders what's wrong with the "cool" car that he has to drive it like a lady who accidentally shows up at a barn party in high heels...... In other words, the cool factor to me transforms into something at the other end of the spectrum from cool. I think you need to carefully consider whether you're making a wise choice buying random wheels with the wrong offset and jamming them under your fenders. Perfectly fine if you don't care about rubbing and damage. Shrug...

·
Registered
965 Posts
And I'mm with IdahoDoug. Just a matter of personal taste, which I respect, but I think some of these efforts to make the car look "cool" are just goofy. Especially the ones with tires sticking out of the fenders. The E46 was well engineered out of the box to provide top quality driving dynamics. Why screw that up?

·
Registered
90 Posts
FWIW, the BBS wheels are far better looking than the generic 5-spokes BMW used all-too-often, in my opinion.

Talk to some local, reputable tire guys in your area for additional information. They may even allow a ‘trial fit’ session if you’re going to be buying tires. That would give you a concrete idea of any limitations you may be dealing with, and could save you some money if you don’t think they’ll work. If they fit, you’re good. If not, you may have to pay a bit of labor charge, but you’ll save overall.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited by Moderator)
I'm with RRRM8E. If the wheel sticks out more than an inch farther than stock, I think you're definitely going to rub the tires on the fender lip. My tires will compress up into the fender well designed at a place for the tire to go when the suspension is compressed. Your tires will compress and hit the fender lip. I don't see how that's going to work. I think you will turn into a driveway and the tire tears up your plastic inner fender, or bends the fender lip.

It's just my opinion but when I see guys driving cars where they've ignored good handling vehicle principles to put tires on that protrude out like that, whatever "cool" factor is lost when they have to creep super slow into a restaurant while the tire scrapes and rubs. Every onlooker stares at the sound and wonders what's wrong with the "cool" car that he has to drive it like a lady who accidentally shows up at a barn party in high heels...... In other words, the cool factor to me transforms into something at the other end of the spectrum from cool. I think you need to carefully consider whether you're making a wise choice buying random wheels with the wrong offset and jamming them under your fenders. Perfectly fine if you don't care about rubbing and damage. Shrug...
I need objective feedback that I can use not snarky condescending remarks... If not, I really would appreciate if you just didn't respond. I am NOW AWARE of the differences and the modifications that they will require to ensure proper fitment.

I AM ABSOLUTELY NOT GOING FOR A "COOL" LOOK IF IT MEANS MY TIRES ARE LITERALLY STICKING OUT OF MY FENDERS..
THE POINT IS TO GET PROPER TIRE FITMENT TO AVOID THIS ISSUE.

Under that logic of "The manufacturer designed them good enough already, why screw that up"? nobody would EVER pursue custom fitments or ANYTHING custom in that regard. Useless comments...

Thank you to the responses that were actually meant to help.. not discourage. Because I know many others have done this already. Im not the first.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for your 2 cents..obviously I am not trying to screw anything up.. Obviously.. If you have info on how to avoid screwing up, kindly share. If not, I don't need the comments. Thank you for understanding. I need solutions not opinions..

And I'mm with IdahoDoug. Just a matter of personal taste, which I respect, but I think some of these efforts to make the car look "cool" are just goofy. Especially the ones with tires sticking out of the fenders. The E46 was well engineered out of the box to provide top quality driving dynamics. Why screw that up?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Well, putting aside the matter of personal tastes, my concern would be running 20 offset when the car was designed for 40. I can't tell you for sure that will screw it up, but it does move the rim centerline out quite a bit from the hub. Whether this affects bearing loads, suspension geometry, etc. I can't say. But it might.
So to wrap up, i would reiterate what you quoted in #17. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,261 Posts
Would this not be resolved by using either hub centric rings or spacers? Or narrower tread tires? Or both?
I think you're misunderstanding. Hubcentric rings adapt the larger E39 hub center size (which those Style 42s have) to the E46's smaller hub center size. They don't change the offset at all. They're just necessary any time you install E39 wheels on any other BMW, since the automaker decided to make the E39's hub center larger for some reason.

Spacers will reduce the wheels' offset (push them further out). You want to increase the offset (bring them in).

With an ET (offset) of 20, even narrower tread tires won't guarantee that you won't rub. And stretched tires look stupid.

As mentioned above, Style 42 are 2-piece wheels, meaning they come apart like this:

You can get barrels (the outside) with different offsets, meaning the flange that connects the center and the barrel is at a different position within the barrel, shifting the position of the tire relative to the hub.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts