E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of those clever spring-loaded trim pieces (the ones that covers the hole where the top bars retract when the top goes down behind the rear seats) broke today when the piece of plastic that the spring end fit into broke free (see attached image). I've ordered the replacement part: http://www.ecstuning.com/ES111515/ but it looks like it will be tricky to get the old part out and the new one in. Anyone have experience with this? I'm thinking I may have to remove the whole panel that this little two inch by two inch part fits into to be able to snap the part onto the rails from the underside. Advice on doing this without causing more damage and more a more expensive repair? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
You might want to think about putting a little silicon spray down there, just for when you're popping the cover in. Can make it easier. Over the years I've done this a dozen times, at least, using the other side as a guide (I have a terrible memory) and it's always an annoying project. Takes anywhere from a minute to ten, depending on how cantankerous those little pieces feel like being.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same problem do you know how t attached the plastic rod to the sliding cover ,I have all the parts can figure out how to attached the rod to the sliding cover if you know can you help me thank you in advance

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Attaching the rod: (First off, responding to the other comments, as to the cover piece, it is just a matter of popping it out or in, as Taylor stated. And Sgoetz was correct that it's a finicky process. I had to do a lot of wiggling back and forth and side to side before I could get the piece out. The trick seemed to be getting one of the little graspy foot off a it's rail, then wiggling from side to side to get the other pegs out of their rails. Putting it in was easier once I knew the sequence and wasn't so worried about breaking something. A little silicon spray would have been helpful.) As to connecting the rod, that should be simple if you still have the spring that surrounds it. I can see where that could have sprung off when the plastic clip under the piece broke. Do yo still have the spring? If not look around for it or you'll have to buy that part too. If you have it, just look at how it connects on the opposite side. It clips to a metal part aft, and then pull the clip at the forward end of the cylinder/rod thinggy forward and off the rod and then, reaching under the part you have to feel around for the little hole in the plastic where the squared off end of the spring clips in. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah--and also be sure to slide out the smaller adjacent piece like in the first of the two photos E46-cabrio posted. That will allow you to bend the rail outwards a bit to make the getting the cover piece in or out easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts