E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Recently picked up a 2001 5 speed 325ci and have been working on small things till I can do more extensive work in the spring. I wanted to fix the clutch pedal side-to-side play with an UUC clutch pedal bushings kit from ECS. Install was mostly pretty straight forward, I referred to both the PelicanParts write up as well as the instruction that came with the kit.

I'm having trouble putting the new UUC bushings back on at the moment. I slid the inner bushing onto the shaft first, then tried the pedal before finally inserting the outer bushing. This turned out to be pretty difficult as the tolerance is quite small and I can't get enough leverage/room to work with in the foot well area to press in the outer bushing.

I then tried inserting the outer bushing into the pedal assembly before sliding it on to the shaft. But as i wiggle the pedal assembly to close the last 1/16 inch gap with the inner bushing, the outer bushing would back out from the pedal assembly.

Admittedly I may not be working with the correct lubricant as I grabbed some tire shine that I had handy and put that over the shaft, bushings, and the slot in the pedal assembly. I plan to attack it again tomorrow with a C-clamp but would appreciate any tips from anyone who has done this.

Let me know if any of this is unclear or if I can clarify my ask. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In case others run into similar issues in the future; I ended up using a small round file to take down some material inside the outside bushing just slightly. This allowed for just enough tolerance to finally slide the outer bushing on.

Not ideal I know, but the end result is still exponentially better than the cracked OE bushings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts