E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how the three settings for the yellow Konis compare with the stock sports suspension shocks -- e.g. is the lightest Koni setting softer, the same or harder than stock?

Also, I have a question in the DIY forum about differences or discrepencies between our DIY in the tech section and Bentley on the process for changing out struts, if anyone can help on that.

Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
218 Posts
SkipII said:
Does anyone know how the three settings for the yellow Konis compare with the stock sports suspension shocks -- e.g. is the lightest Koni setting softer, the same or harder than stock?

Also, I have a question in the DIY forum about differences or discrepencies between our DIY in the tech section and Bentley on the process for changing out struts, if anyone can help on that.

Thanks for any responses.
I do not know the answer to your first question.
As to number two the DIY in the tech section is for a sport suspension.
If you have a non sport you have to follow the Bentley manual because it is
simply not possible to get the strut out of the steering arm without detaching
the control arm first. Believe me I tried.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I have Konis on my car. Dinan sets them to the middle setting and they're much firmer than stock at that setting.

·
Registered
322 Posts
SteelBlueXI said:
I have Konis on my car. Dinan sets them to the middle setting and they're much firmer than stock at that setting.
just a thought; i know that dinan uses konis, but i don't believe they are identical to the koni (yellow) that koni sells. something about "valved" different. :dunno:

either way, i think you're still right that even the konis (non-dinan) at mid-setting should still be firmer than stock sport suspension.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
DN328 said:
just a thought; i know that dinan uses konis, but i don't believe they are identical to the koni (yellow) that koni sells. something about "valved" different. :dunno:

either way, i think you're still right that even the konis (non-dinan) at mid-setting should still be firmer than stock sport suspension.
I'm not too familiar with Koni's product line.. when you say yellow I assume you are referring to one of their product lines denoted by a yellow shock body. The shock bodies on my Konis are painted yellow.. so I would assume they are the same. :dunno:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some clarifications

I have the sports suspension, so does that mean I do not have to remove the control arm to replace the struts?

Also, back on the Koni question if anyone can still help, I am wanting to know whether the lightest setting is softer, the same or firmer than stock sports shock.

Thanks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
SteelBlueXI said:
I'm not too familiar with Koni's product line.. when you say yellow I assume you are referring to one of their product lines denoted by a yellow shock body. The shock bodies on my Konis are painted yellow.. so I would assume they are the same. :dunno:
sorry for not being clear; yes, when i noted "yellow", i meant the konis with the yellow shock body. These as you know, are the ride dampening adjustable ones (vs. say, the non-dampening red ones).

during a pass discussion with my service advisor he acknowledged that the dinan stocks/structs were made by koni, but valved per dinan specs. i don't think that he was trying to sell me anything as i've had my set-up for sometime. given his comment, and some past internet reading awhile ago, it lead me to think this. i really have no "proof" of this, but thought to point point it out above (and that there may be a difference). oh, as for being the same color, it may just be more cost effective to keep cosmetics the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.