E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there - long time lurker (the DIYs here have been fantastic - thank you), first time poster. I own an 2003 Imola Red E46 M3 Convertible 6 speed that is due to get the engine mounts replaced next week. What I'm hoping for is any input on to other maintenance/pattern failures that should be addressed while this work is being done. I assume given the labor on the engine it would be cheaper to do them together.

Appreciate the help in advance!

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
1,389 Posts
Front Control Arms (if they're still original or it's been many many miles since they were last changed)? Just thinking that access to one of the nuts on each of them is normally restricted by the engine mounts so, if they might need doing soon, they'd be much easier to do whilst the mounts are out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Front Control Arms (if they're still original or it's been many many miles since they were last changed)? Just thinking that access to one of the nuts on each of them is normally restricted by the engine mounts so, if they might need doing soon, they'd be much easier to do whilst the mounts are out.
That’s a great call actually - I have 69k miles on the car and have suspected control arms over alignment with minor shaking with sudden breaking at speed.
Thank you

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
1,389 Posts
That’s a great call actually - I have 69k miles on the car and have suspected control arms over alignment with minor shaking with sudden breaking at speed.
Thank you
At 69k I think that might just be the oil-filled rubber bushings on the ends, rather the ball joints that necessitate changing the whole arms. On the two E46s I've had, the ball joints lasted until 100-110k. That was with non-sport control arms. (If you have sport/zhp control arms then the ball joints are be stronger and they're good for longer). Still, if you're in there anyway and the car's a keeper :)

·
Registered
2003 BMW 325CI convertible, Oct '02 prod. date, 111K miles
197 Posts
My DIY that included engine mounts

oil pan gasket (main reason I was working in this area, hopefully yours is dry)
engine mounts
transmission mounts
lower control arm bushings
front brake rotors and pads

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
1,389 Posts
I was wondering about the oil pan gasket too. Didn't suggest it only because I haven't done one so don't know exactly what's involved.

rotors, pads and sway bar links are no easier to do though when doing the engine mounts.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,983 Posts
not to be a spoil sport but don’t feel any of these are items that save meaningful labor while doing the motor mounts. if you had to do the oil pan that’s a different story.
but sure any of these could need replacing but that could be done anytime.

I was thinking control arms too but at 69k the M3 heavy duty arms usually still going strong. different use/roads can vary though.

Reactions: elfer
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.