BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i came across a few cars that have halogen headlights, but they have the projector housing already. In other words when you look at the headlight it looks like a xenon headlight but it's not.

I searched using the terms "xenon" and "projector" but i didn't have much luck... maybe it was my wording.

Anyway - can someone advise on what would be necessary to make this swap? Can I re-use the housing or do I need to buy a whole new headlight ala projector 46 ?

thanks.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
If you put xenon bulb and ballast on a halogen housing, the light would glare and reflect everywhere and that could blind oncoming traffic. Therefore if you get xenons, it's recommended that you also get a projector housing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm interested in this as well. I have the projector halogen lights. Can I plug and play with OEM xenon parts? Is there a list of part numbers needed for the conversion anywhere?

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I think you have to modify the oem bulb carrier in order to fit aftermarket hid bulbs.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That kit seems like a lot of parts if the car already has the projector housing - no?

Also: Would you still need to modify the housing if you used OEM parts/bulbs....

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ttt

·
Registered
186 Posts
You are most likely looking at a facelifted 3 series. The answer is yes, absolutely you can add an aftermarket HID kit to the car. I did it to my car. I got the kit for 150.00 from Bavtoys. It is plug and play, you do not need any adapter or anything. It is an H7 HID bulb so you do not have to adapt to a DS bulb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts